Bridlington man fined £1,246 after household waste was found dumped at Grindale

A Bridlington man has been ordered to pay £1,246 after household waste was found dumped at Gosling Slack near Grindale in March 2019.

Wednesday, 13th January 2021, 1:50 pm
Paul Settle, of Pinfold Lane, was ordered to pay a fine, court costs and a victim surcharge totalling £1,246 over the fly-tipping at Grindale.

Paul Settle, of Pinfold Road, pleaded guilty to an offence under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, having failed to take reasonable measures to ensure that the waste was disposed of in accordance with the law.

Mr Settle appeared before Hull Magistrates’ Court on Friday, January 8.

Mr Settle was ordered to pay a fine, court costs and a victim surcharge totalling £1,246.

The court heard that, following a report of fly-tipping, a streetscene enforcement officer from East Riding of Yorkshire Council investigated the site at Gosling Slack on 28 March 2019. The officer found general household waste, as well as wood and carpets dumped on the roadside.

Subsequent enquiries led to a business in Bridlington that advertised removal services and it was established that the waste was removed by Paul Settle.

Several unsuccessful attempts were made to interview Mr Settle, who ultimately failed to respond to the council’s requests.

Throughout the pandemic, officers from the council have continued to investigate incidents of fly tipping throughout the area and will continue to deal with any offenders proactively in collaboration with partner agencies.

Failing to respond to officers investigating fly tipping will not prevent further action, including prosecution, being taken.

Paul Tripp, head of streetscene services at East Riding Council, said: “Our team continues to work hard throughout the pandemic to attend reported fly-tipping sites and we thank the residents of the East Riding for bringing these to our attention.

“As a reminder, if you are unable to dispose of your household waste by using the council’s bin collections, recycling sites or bulky collections, you must check your contractor is a licensed waste carrier on the Environment Agency website and should ask to see a copy of their waste carrier’s licence.”