Sewerby survive as Brid finish seventh

There was satisfaction all round at Sheriff Hutton Bridge where a drawn match in the home side’s favour confirmed the hosts as runners-up and also ensured visiting Sewerby retained their Premier Division status.

The Bridge were in some difficulty at 91/6 after Ben Dobson (4-33) had caused problems. 15-year- old Ed Barnes then came to the rescue with his first league half-century as he made an unbeaten 53 which lifted the home total to 174/9.

When Sewerby replied Luke Jennison made 26 but tight bowling kept the Bridge in control.

With the Bridge pavilion resembling a call centre, results began to filter through which indicated that a draw would ensure Sewerby safety.

Mike Artley (41no) and Dobson (42no) then embarked on such a mission and them past the 75% mark which signified safety – the innings ending on 158/5.

Acomb, who began the day in eighth spot, were relegated.

Bridlington made the long trip to Leeds to play Whitkirk for their final game for the season.

Skipper Sam Edmundson won the chose and chose to bowl on a damp wicket. This paid off when he took a wicket with the second ball of the innings. Another wicket fell with the score on 22.

Frankie Reffold then took two wickets and Casey Rudd and Steve Janney one apiece to reduce Whitkirk to 117/6.

Brid wanted to bowl the hosts out cheaply but Walker (57) and Handley (52) batted really well to add 81 for the eighth wicket and then M Murphy added a quick 21 at the end to propel the Whitkirk score to 234/8 from their 48 overs.

Bridlington made a solid start with 23 on the board before the first wicket fell. Rudd batted well against some decent bowling and made his sixth 50+ score of the season before he fell for 54.

However, he did not get much support from his colleagues with only Rich Lount with 28 making any sort of contribution.

Wickets kept tumbling as Brid were dismissed for a very disappointing 115, Simpson taking 4/5 and J Kelly 3/24 as Whitkirk won by a very comfortable 119 runs.

This result saw Bridlington finish in seventhth place in the league.