North East finals for eighth year in a row

Martongate School hockey
Martongate School hockey

Martongate School will be represented at the North East finals of the National In2Hockey Championships for the eighth successive year.

The under 11 squad won through from the Humberside finals last week, and will head to the next stage next month.

Their achievement is even more remarkable because the school lost all of last year’s team to secondary school and had to form a completely new team, with over half of the recruits in year five.

Deputy headteacher and hockey coach Di Levitt said: “They should be extremely proud of themselves and what they have achieved.”

Martongate represented the East Riding of Yorkshire at Hymers School in Hull last Tuesday.

During the evening they played three matches, the first one against Newland St John Primary School from Hull.

In the first half Martongate created several chances but it looked like it was going to be goalless half at the break until Martongate took the lead with a well taken goal from Ethan Marshall just before the whistle.

This gave the team the boost they needed but during the second half they still found it difficult to convert their chances, however, they held on to secure the first win of the evening.

The next opposition were Bricknell Primary, also from Hull. The team looked a different outfit from the first match and made the most of their chances in front of goal.

Riley Potts scored a brace and Tom Manson’s fine run down the right produced a fine shot, which was helped over the goal line by Arnie Tindall to secure a good lead by half time.

The second half saw the team take their foot off the pedal and this allowed the opposition chance to attack. A wonderful finish by the forward gave Evan Jemmison in goal no chance.

Joe Pratley’s influence in controlling the midfield helped Martongate finish the game with a much better tempo and win the second game of the night 3-1.

The third and final game of the evening was against Beverley Minster Primary School.

Harrison Grainger’s calm play in defence, beating the opposition to the ball, snuffed out any attack.

Manson added two more goals to his tally which, along with another from Tindall, gave a scoreline of 3-0 at half time.

In the second half hard tackling and distribution from Jack Garnett and Shane Tyers in midfield enabled Martongate to continue with their attack.

Potts claimed his hat trick for the night with a clean shot from a penalty corner for a final result of 4-0.