Mariners learn lessons to see off the Bandits

Bridlington Mariners 30 Beverley Bandits 20
Bridlington Mariners 30 Beverley Bandits 20

Bridlington Mariners registered their first win for a while in a very entertaining match against Beverley’s second team on Saturday.

The visitors’ squad was sprinkled with a couple of first team players, with Beverley’s first team game at home to Westoe having been postponed.

The conditions under foot were heavy following the amount of rain the pitch has had to absorb in the last few weeks but the players made light of this playing some attractive attacking rugby.

The Mariners were in control of the game in the first quarter as the pack gained some control over their opposite numbers and with 15 minutes gone the visitors infringed in their own 22 metre area giving Taylah Muru-King the first chance to register some points.

Unfortunately, his attempted penalty was just wide of the posts.

Moments later the Mariners regained possession as the visitors tried to work the ball away from their one half and they knocked on.

Quick as a flash captain Tom Brown gathered and fed his backs. A couple of quick passes put wing Ben Wollerton into space and he did well to squeeze over in the corner.

Muru-King was again wide with the difficult conversion attempt.

This seemed to spark the Beverley side into action and some indifferent tackling by the home side allowed the visitors to work the ball deep into the Brid half.

In their desperation to defend their line, the Mariners gave away a penalty and this was easily converted into points, to reduce the arrears to 5-3.

This served as a reminder to the Mariners that the visitors could posse a threat and having held the upper hand for 30 minutes they couldn’t take the Beverley side lightly.

The Mariners extended their lead with a second try when back rower Jack Bell gathered an excellent ball and drove the ball several metres forward to give the forwards the platform to work a rolling maul.

All eight in the pack contributed to as great piece of forward play and hooker Danny Palmer came up with the try expertly shepherding the ball over the try line.

Muru-King forgot to bring his kicking boots and was wide again with his conversion attempt.

With the half almost over the Mariners shot themselves in the foot again allowing the visitors to get right back on terms with a try which again could have been avoided with better defence.

The conversion was missed and the Mariners went into half time with a 10-8 lead.

At the start of the second period the Mariners made the cardinal sin of not expecting their opposition to come at them at the beginning of the half and so within five minutes of the restart found themselves behind when Beverley created and scored a well deserved and converted try.

As in the first period , the Mariners started to gain control of the game, notably through the forwards who controlled the set piece and carried well.

Having worked their way deep into the Beverly 22 metre area, Muru-King forced his way over from 10 metres out.

Unfortunately again he couldn’t convert but the Mariners had regained the lead.

The advantage didn’t last very long as the visitors came back at the home side and Beverley regained the lead with an unconverted try to make it 20-18.

The home side pack then gained an advantage over the Beverley pack by winning many lineouts and putting pressure on them in the scrum.

It took a little time but the Mariners regained the lead and it was Muru-King again who forced the issue barging his way over from close range.

The Mariners completed the scoring with 10 minutes to go when full back AJ Burrows surprised the visitors with some excellent interpretation of the rugby laws.

Having run the ball into contact, a ruck was formed. However, having gone past the ball he was not offside and as Beverley recycled the ball he gathered and raced 25 metres to score even though the visitors complained.

Muru-King finally found his kicking boots and added the conversion and the home side led 30-20.

Beverley tried to gain a losing bonus point by running the ball at the Mariners but unlike recent matches when silly errors by the Mariners cost them the game, they were able to put the ball into the correct areas, not give away penalties and see out the game.

Lessons seemed to have been learnt.

This was an excellent performance by the Mariners with a number of stand out performances.