Kicking king Arthur keeps home record intact

Bridlington v Hullensians
Bridlington v Hullensians

Bridlington continued their 100% home record in Yorkshire One with a convincing 31-19 win over Hullensians.

The home side were particularly dominant in the first half. With the ball in hand they looked very lively and dangerous, and the set pieces were working well. Several times during this half Matiu Welch made penetrating runs which Hullensians had little answer to.

Bridlington v Hullensians

Bridlington v Hullensians

The first try came after 10 minutes, when after a penalty took Bridlington 15 metres into the opposition half. Secure handling and an accurate long pass to the left wing saw Jack Arthur score in the corner.

An excellent conversion from the touchline by Arthur gave Bridlington a 7-0 lead.

At the restart Jimmy Thompson had to be assisted from the field, injured in a ruck, and was unable to continue. This was a serious blow to Bridlington, losing one of their main ball carriers so early in the game.

A run by Welch was spoiled as the referee ruled that there had been crossing, and Bridlington spent the next few minutes in their own half, but defending well.

Bridlington's Gary Stevens v Hullensians

Bridlington's Gary Stevens v Hullensians

Bridlington regained possession and the combination of Welch and Arthur once again proved too good for the Hull team and Oliver Stephenson scored, converted by Arthur, to increase the lead to 14-0.

With Bridlington back on the attack, a good run by Paddy Waines and several more phases led to a scrum 10 metres from the Hullensians line and a try by Waines close to the posts, was converted by Arthur.

With the half-hour approaching, Hullensians had gained a position well into the Bridlington half, probably their best territory so far, and after a penalty, a quick tap and go and smart handling gave Hullensians their first try well out to the right of the field, which was converted well.

Half time arrived with no further scores.

A half time substitution brought Regan Stirk on, to add his strength and speed to the Bridlington attack.

After the restart, Bridlington were in possession in the Hull team’s half, but lost the ball after a scrum, However, great defending caught a Hullensian player over his own line to force a five-metre scrum.

Bridlington got over the line but were ruled to be held up.

After 10 minutes or so, a good catch and drive after a lineout was stopped, gave Bridlington a scrum close to the opposition line. The ball was switched right to left, a final long pass to Stirk found him still with work to do but his speed and strength were enough for him to score an excellent try in the left-hand corner.

A superb conversion by Arthur re-established a comfortable lead of 28-5.

Hullensians hadn’t given up however. Tired Bridlington players missed tackles after the restart to give an almost immediate response, with the ball being swung wide to the left for an unconverted Hullensians try in the right hand corner.

Shortly afterwards Welch was yellow carded for a knock-on , which was adjudged deliberate. With Bridlington down to 14 men, a period of fierce defence was needed, with the game getting a bit heated and scrappy.

Eventually as the home team worked their way into the opposition half, with Jamie Martin running well, the ball was lost forward and ruled to have being ripped out illegally.

Bridlington chose to go for the points and Arthur completed his good afternoon with a penalty kick to bring the score to 31-12.

With a couple of minutes to go, a final flourish by Hullensians brought some good running and a tired Bridlington defence gave the Hull team a final tryBridlington had played well, looking the complete team and thoroughly deserved the win.

The matchballs were sponsored by Rags Restaurant and RnB Accounting Services.