Wrong Click stay on the right track

The runners-up Shaken Not Stirred
The runners-up Shaken Not Stirred

Now in its 12th year, the Glenn McHale Firm AM competition, attracted 39 teams from, amongst others areas, Teesside, Sheffield and Hull.

Many of the teams played in matching polo shirts which in some cases reflected their win in previous years.

The top team receiving their winners' embroidered polo shirts and their prizes of tablets and covers.

The top team receiving their winners' embroidered polo shirts and their prizes of tablets and covers.

Played in memory of its founder who died of cancer at age 43, this year’s competition started in dull slightly rainy conditions but as the day wore on the sun came out and the breeze increased.

Highlight of the day was a hole-in-one by John Kilvington on the par three 10th, 148 yards off the white tees using a nine iron.

His tee shot initially went past the hole towards the upper level then ran back and into the hole.

Kilvington, a member of Bridlington Golf Club, invited everyone to share his achievement in the clubhouse after the competition, which was appreciated by all 156 competitors.

Winners on the day, and by a good margin, with 90 points was the team Wrong Click whose members were D Gibson, G May, R Kelly and M Macnamara.

The runners-up, with 84 points, and a back nine of 50 points, were Shaken Not Stirred, made up of P Taylor, M Hogan, J House and P Carnall, who each received a touring bicycle.

In third place were the Steel City Boys team, also with 84 points, but a back nine of 45 points, followed by the Buckton Bandits, who made 44 of their 84 points on the back nine.

The remaining prize winning teams were Westies Wonders (83 points), Mexicans (82 points), A Farming Foray (81 points, 32 on back nine) and Feasties Golf Shop (81 points, 31 on back nine).

Nearest the pin winners on the par threes were Mark Jackson, Simon Crabtree, John Kilvington and N Thomlinson.

Throughout the day, lady captain Sue Towse ran the putting competition which was won by Ken Winter whose ball finished just five inches from the bottle target.

The money raised went to her charity, St Catherine’s Hospice in Scarborough, as did all the money raised at the halfway house which was open throughout the day and was run by Glenn’s widow Nicki and the club chairman’s wife Phyl Woodhouse.

Between them, the women raised over £450.