Winning start puts Brid among the front-runners

Bridlington made it two league wins out of two after a 26-8 win over Old Brodleians, who had scored 54 points in their opening game.

In quite pleasant but windy conditions, an early penalty to Bridlington in front of the posts gave Matiu Welch his first chance, which he duly took for a 3-0 lead.

Bridlington 26 Old Brodleians 8

Bridlington 26 Old Brodleians 8

Shortly afterwards, a scrum to Bridlington, saw some smart handling across the pitch and down the left wing for Jack Arthur to score in the corner, unconverted in difficult kicking conditions to stretch the lead to eight points

Play see-sawed for a time with both sides kicking for position, and Bridlington defending well in the middle of the pitch when Old Brodleians had the ball.

Bridlington’s game was continuing from their good form of last week - strong in defence and looking dangerous in possession. This was shown by a great run down the right wing by Oliver Stephenson, offloading to Gary Stevens to go over for Bridlington’s second try. Again this was unconverted in worsening conditions to increase the lead to 13-0.

After the restart, Old Brodleians had their best play so far, switching the ball from wing to wing and finished of by an Old Brodleians forward powering over to reduce the deficit, after an unsuccessful conversion attempt.

A heavy shower of hail and rain made the conditions absolutely atrocious at this point. A strong maul after a lineout was brought down by Bridlington was judged illegal and from a much more kickable position, the resulting penalty meant that the points gap was reduced to 12-8.

With a slippery ball and poor conditions, mistakes were made by both sides, but in the final few minutes Bridlington finished strongly, ending the half deep in opposition territory but not able to score again.

Immediately after the restart Old Brodleians were penalised for a high tackle, and a few minutes later another led to players squaring up to each other but no damage. The offending player was yellow carded, perhaps fortunate in the referee’s choice of colour.

A good Bridlington maul after the kick and a safe lineout caught opposition players offside, and a secure kick by Jack Arthur once again stretched the lead to 16-8.

A couple of uncontested scrums because of Old Brodleians’ lack of specialist forwards led to another offside decision against the visitors and with a secure kick Arthur took the score to 19-8, an important gap meaning that Bridlington were more than a converted try in front.

As the game came into its final quarter, Bridlington’s aggressive defence forced a very poor clearance and a lineout on the opposition’s five-metre line. It was safely gathered and with a run through the lineout, Wiremu Cookson touched down. With his best conversion of the afternoon, from wide out, Arthur took the score to 26-8.

The game ended much as the first half had, with Bridlington camped a few metres from the opposition goal line, and players being held up twice with the ball over the line, but unable to ground it and score a fourth try and earn a bonus point.