Waines world as Paddy scores twice in derby

Gareth Roberts makes a tackle
Gareth Roberts makes a tackle

Bridlington completed the league double over Scarborough on an icy Saturday at Silver Royd in Yorkshire One.

In an enthralling if not spectacular local derby, it was the visitors who had the edge physically and they used this to their advantage to take home the spoils.

Dewi Roberts on the charge

Dewi Roberts on the charge

Scarborough kicked off and immediately put themselves under pressure by giving away two successive penalties. This allowed Bridlington to force themselves into the home 22, and a further penalty at the ruck against Scarborough number eight Isaac Faamau was punished with a successful kick at goal from fly-half Matiu Welch and Bridlington led 3-0.

Scarborough hit back shortly afterwards, following a couple of handling errors from the away side. A home scrum ball was shipped to Paul White at inside centre, whose bustling run put them on the front foot. From the resulting ruck Bridlington were penalised and Scarborough captain Tom Ratcliffe slotted three points from the 10-metre line.

On 20 minutes Bridlington looked to move the ball wide in the Scarborough half and skipper Ratcliffe was adjudged by the referee to have slapped the ball down when going for an interception, and received 10 minutes in the bin.

Despite this setback it was Scarborough who were on the scoresheet next. More sterling defence from the home back line, saw fly-half Tom Chadwick turn the ball over on the left side of the pitch.

Ryan Girking

Ryan Girking

He was presented with a clear run in from halfway and sprinted down the line to score in the corner, leaving diving tacklers in his wake.

The conversion was missed from the touchline by Martin Robinson and the score was 8-3 to the home side.

The rest of the half’s territory belonged to Bridlington and despite some more resolute Scarborough defending Bridlington went into half time ahead.

Following handling errors from both sides in the hosts’ half, Scarborough gave away another penalty near their line. Brid took the line-out and backed up their decision with a strong rolling maul.

Jamie Martin makes a tackle

Jamie Martin makes a tackle

Scarborough defended desperately for a couple more phases until a slip by a home defender allowed fly-half Welch a simple walk under the posts, and he converted for a 10-8 lead.

The second half started as the last had finished with more attritional rugby filled with big tackling and solid running, which would eventually take its toll on a Scarborough pack who lacked the physicality of that of their guests.

Bridlington extended their lead five minutes after the break through more good work by their forwards.

Again it was a driving maul that proved Scarborough’s undoing. Following a line-out in the Scarborough 22, the home team dealt with a barrage of runners crashing into their defensive line. Eventually their wall of defence was breached, and prop Paddy Waines powered over for a try.

The try was converted by Jack Arthur, who’d taken over kicking duties, and Brid led 17-8, although Ratcliffe’s penalty narrowed that gap by three points soon afterwards.

The home side now had their tails up and a scrum on halfway led to a pick from the base by Faamau, who released Toby Welsby down the far side.

He was brought down 10 metres short of the line, and the ball was quickly recycled by Robinson, through the hands of Chadwick and out to the wing, where Ratcliffe dummied and went in at the corner to score.

The touchline conversion was inch-perfect from Ratcliffe, and suddenly Scarborough led 18-17 with 25 minutes to go.

Bridlington were not finished yet, and on 60 minutes their pressure paid off and Andrew Trolove just forced his way over the line for a try. The kick was missed and the score was 22-18.

Bridlington extended their advantage after Scarborough were penalised by referee Carl Walsh for obstructing a visiting tackler in their own half, much to the dismay of the home crowd. Arthur slotted the penalty kick for 25-18.

In the final 10 minutes the hard work Scarborough had put in up front seemed to be showing in their legs, and they struggled to move the ball out of their own half.

After winning the ball on the home 22, Bridlington again used their physicality in the pack to gain yards, which led to their fourth try and a bonus point, with Waines grabbing his second.