Two wins out of two for the 3rds

Selby 5ths 5 Bridlington 3rds 55
Selby 5ths 5 Bridlington 3rds 55

Bridlington 3rds travelled to Selby 5ths for their second Merit League game of the season

A few no shows meant four late changes were needed for the visitors.

Soon after the kick-off, two Selby scrums were taken against the head and this led to Cameron Brown diving over the line. Michael Nugent converted and the visitors found themselves 7-0 ahead.

Ten minutes of sustained pressure on the Selby line made space for Tom Brown to score. Nugent again converting to make the lead 14-0.

With Selby already running out of steam, a loose ball was picked up by Matty Faulkner, who passed to Nugent and then on to Ben Wollerton to run 40 metres to score and give Nugent an easy conversion.

Matty Harden was next to score just before half-time and with Nugent’s conversion, Bridlington finished the half 28-0 up.

Under pressure from the re-start, Selby spilled the ball. Faulkner picked up possession, broke through and put in captain Adam McTurk next to the posts. Again Nugent converted.

In a period of 25 minutes, the heavens opened, with thunder and lightning. This did not deter Bridlington and more tries were scored by Wollerton, Nugent and Louis Cunliffe.

The conversions were all missed and a small lapse in concentration led to Selby scoring an unconverted try.

With the home side players struggling with injuries, Harden and Ben Lawry volunteered to help out. Matty Taylor thought he was going to score but Lawry’s experience pushed him wide and thwarted his efforts.

With the full-time whistle looming, Bridlington finished the game with Nugent running 50 metres to score.

Special mention should go to Chris Ridley, at 48 years old, playing all 80 minutes. Anthony Morrell, Danny Palmer and Daniel Kempton all played their first game for a few years.

Dean Middleton, Jai Campbell and Michael Chatham worked tirelessly in the pack and Jordan Clarke, filling in at centre after last week’s brilliant performance in the back row, impressed.

Man of the match had to go to Ben Wollerton, a future first team regular for certain.