Superb second half leaves Yarnbury well beaten

Bridlington RUFC 22 Yarnbury 0
Bridlington RUFC 22 Yarnbury 0

Bridlington produced a tremendous second half display to blow away Yarnbury and record one of the best results of their season.

After a scoreless first half, where the hosts defended well, they stepped things up after the break against a side who arrived at Dukes Park fourth in the Yorkshire One table.

On a fine winter afternoon, Bridlington were trapped in their own half for long periods in the first 40 minutes but showed their defensive mettle by not conceding any points.

After the opposition kicked off, soon came the first attack of the game, as Yarnbury moved the ball to their left wing, bringing a good tackle to touch by the Bridlington defence.

An exchange of kicks for position led to an opposition mark, a poor touch kick and a quick Bridlington lineout, leading to Bridlington’s first attack.

A player from each side was yellow carded for not very clear reasons, possibly an exchange of words.

Possession continued to be shared, with the majority of territory going to Bridlington in the first 10 or so minutes.

Yarnbury now began to exploit their superior kicking game, in terms of both accuracy and distance gained, pinning Bridlington deep in their own half.

A good Yarnbury maul, illegally collapsed, led to a lineout close to the Bridlington line and another maul, which this time resulted in a Yarnbury scrum, led to a switch by them to the left wing but defenders were there in numbers to force the ball carrier into touch.

The home side then forced a knock on but still failed to clear their lines, with Yarnbury continuing to use the kicking game to press Bridlington back.

A good clearance brought temporary relief, but a ruck infringement brought a penalty against Bridlington, with silly dissent costing them another 10 metres

As the half drew to a close, Bridlington were again deep into their 22 area, and a promising Yarnbury attack was brought to a halt but with Bridlington player penalised for a shoulder charge.

A scoreless first half had seen some excellent defensive work, but worrying amounts of time spent deep in the Bridlington half. However, more encouragingly, the home side had enjoyed the better of the scrums.

After the restart Bridlington were almost immediately back into their own half for the first few minutes. The home side managed to get the ball to the halfway line a handling error leading to a Yarnbury scrum.

Superb work by the Bridlington pack demolished the opposition eight, a smart pickup by Otis Floyd, who pinned back his ears, and brilliantly outran the defence to score under the posts.

The easy conversion by Jack Arthur gave Bridlington a 7-0 lead, eightminutes into the second half.

The scrum dominance by the Bridlington forwards was to continue throughout the remainder of the game, proving to be a decisive influence.

Another touchdown, after a melee close to the Yarnbury line was not allowed, the referee bringing the players for a scrum.

An offside decision against the visitors gave Arthur another chance, which he duly took to increase the lead to 10-0.

After the restart, a fine kick gave Bridlington a lineout a few metres from the opposition line, to continue the pressure. Another first class scrum, against a pack who were now totally beaten, led to an unsuccessful attempt at goal from the ensuing penalty.

Two excellent bits of work by Will Davies in the next few minutes might have led to scores on another day. A foot in touch when going clear, and then a near interception both bringing nothing, although he was rewarded on the half hour when a fine run down the right wing, evaded of a tap tackle and managing to just stay on his feet, brought a try.

The conversion attempt was unsuccessful but in final few minutes, great handling from halfway brought the final rewards, as captain Ryan Girking crossed the line for a third try, converted by Arthur to make the final score 22-0.