Six wins out of seven as Bridlington boxers benefit from home advantage

Bridlington ABC boxers in the ring at The Spa. Picture by Lea Houlihan.
Bridlington ABC boxers in the ring at The Spa. Picture by Lea Houlihan.

Bridlington boxers enjoyed a successful night, with six victories, on another excellent night of boxing at the Spa.

Although Zac Stabler’s win, in his final contest, was what the majority of the crowd had hoped to see, there were plenty of other accomplished performances from his team-mates.

There was a lovely touch to get proceedings underway. Gareth Newby, 23, trains at the gym every week but is unable to box competitively because of health reasons.

He took part in an exhibition bout against the Bridlington club’s head coach, so he could enjoy the experience of having his name read out in the ring and hear the huge encouragement from his supportive team-mates.

Ten-year-old Cameron Connelly’s learning curve took another step as he competed in another skills contest, where youngsters box without an end result from the judges.

Connelly took on Zac Nearney from Grimsby Boxing Academy and there was plenty of ebb and flow in the opening round, with the home boxer showing a useful knack of being able to get himself out of trouble.

The pair traded plenty of blows in the second round and Connelly made a good attacking start to the third as he prepares for his first scored contest.

The other skills bout saw Ethan Norton from Grimsby BA against James Campbell from the Phoenix ABC.

The first schoolboy contest of the evening saw a well-matched 31kg bout between Scarborough ABC’s Harry Ingle and Joe Peat from West Hull, with Ingle getting a split decision from the judges.

Bridlington’s winning run started with Billy Gibson, who beat Brendon McCormack from the Nottingham-based Phoenix club.

Gibson was nimble around the ring early on but was unable to find the shots to cause any real worry to McCormack.

Round two was even too, with neither doing enough to get the upper hand. Gibson’s good work at the start of the third got him a unanimous decision, but it was, on the whole, a stop-start affair with no-one able to build up momentum.

Grimsby’s Domonik Karmalita forced Ben Tordoff of Henry’s Gym to take a standing count on his way to a unanimous win in a 83kg contest.

Then, Ben Malone, fresh from a win in Hull earlier in the month, impressed by beating an awkward opponent in Morgan Guest from Middlesbrough ABC.

The Bridlington youngster was busy in the early stages, and despite Guest’s spoiling tactics, Malone was not disrupted and was always the more energetic of the pair.

Forced to go for it in the final round, Guest opened up more, but Malone stuck to his gameplan and was easily the more polished fighter.

Guest left with a bloodied nose as Malone earned a unanimous decision.

In a female contest at 56kg, Bridlington’s Leah Smith edged out Milli Hanson of Grimsby. Smith began aggressively but the pace slowed, and her opponent was adept at finding w ay out whenever she was against the ropes.

It was up for grabs going into the final round and Hanson was picking her shots well, and bobbing and weaving to good effect, but the judges favoured the home fighter, by way of a split decision.

Two visiting boxers took to the ring as Scarborough’s Robert Lee faced Gabe Rollins from the Horden ABC.

Referee Scott Duncan publicly congratulated both fighters for a cracking contest but Rollins was a class above and earned a unanimous verdict.

The only home defeat came as Tom Hebden was stopped by Marley Devitt from Pallister Park ABC in Middlesbrough.

Hebden, who fought in Dublin earlier in the month, started the light-welterweight contest at lightning speed against a taller opponent. Devitt was pinned back several times and Hebden kept up the high tempo at the end of the first round.

There was a thrilling start to the second too, with a flurry of punches from Hebden, but the visiting boxer regrouped and when Devitt stepped it up midway through the round, Hebden had run out of gas and the referee stepped in to call the contest off.

Debitt’s work earned him the title of best away boxer of the night

Roan Stanley took revenge when he breezed past one of Devitt’s Pallister Park team-mates Pedram Seidloo.

Middleweight Stanley controlled the opening round, staying at arm’s length and choosing the perfect moments to attack. He kept the pressure on with a good variety of punches throughout and it was a surprise that one of the judges gave the fight to Seidloo.

Darren Boyes was made to work hard to get a split decision against Robert Mawson from the Horden ABC. After a slow start, Boyes showed sound technique to lay the foundations for a slick attack at the end of the second round, which rocked the North East fighter.

Boyes’ work-rate did not dip in the final round and Mawson only really threatened in the final 30 seconds of the fight.

Scarborough heavyweight Oliver Battye was dominant from start to finish in his fight against Lee Chappel from Grantham, but only picked up a win after a split decision.

Then, all eyes turned to Stabler, and he earned the home boxer of the night award for beating Kyle O’Toole from Scarborough in the finale.