Resurgent Bridlington brush Wath aside

Bridlington 17 Wath Upon Dearne 11
Bridlington 17 Wath Upon Dearne 11

Bridlington welcomed back Sizwe Zondo, after a long injury spell,, as they faced fourth placed Wath upon Dearne, another team with a set of big forwards.

The poor weather meant that both teams would make use their forwards, in the opening exchanges, but just as they did last week, Bridlington’s pack produced a great performance.

Bridlington were quickly awarded a penalty from the start, as they ran the ball at the visitors. The forwards put pressure on the opposition as they surged up the park, winning another penalty in range of the goal, but this sailed wide in the strong wind.

Wath picked themselves up and from the drop out they were soon on Bridlington’s 22 metre line, wining a penalty which they kicked for a lineout 10 metres from the Bridlington line. A catch and drive saw them cross the line for Gary Webb to score the first try of the match.

Wath continued from the restart, edging into the Bridlington 40, Then, from a scrum Jamie Muru was able to intercept a long pass, to turn the tables, putting in a crossfield kick for Zondo to chase. The referee brought play back as the ball went into touch, for a penalty to the home side, but this also went wide of the posts.

Wath escaped to halfway with a drop out kick, but Muru was able to put in another good kick for a lineout on the visitors 22. Wath made a couple of drives, until the ball went loose, Will Davies seized the chance and hacked the ball through, gathering it to score a try out by the flag, to level the scores.

Wath made good progress up the field, with their back row picking and driving, phase after phase, then as they were in range of the posts they were gifted a penalty which they gladly kicked at goal.

Bridlington then had all the possession, as they pounded the visitors’ defence. A penalty 10 metres short was taken quickly by Martin Robinson for, first, Ezra Luxton and, then, Adam Dixon to drive for the line, but each time they were stopped short.

Auryn Murray saw a gap and was through from short range to score a try next to the upright, this time converted successfully by Muru.

The Bridlington forwards pounded the Wath line again - Robinson was stopped 10 meters short, then Muru found Zondo with a good pass, and he was driven over the line, but was held up.

Wath were under the cosh from the start of the second half, as once again the Bridlington forwards took charge of the game, Robinson catching the scrum half as he was about to box kick, to send the ball low into the arms of Ryan Girking.

He kicked ahead for Davies to chase, and a scrum 10 metres out resulted.

From here the forwards drove at the defence, Luxton, James Thompson and Ntsikayomzi Daka took turns at bashing their way ever nearer the line. Wath escaped with a penalty, and they were soon camped out on Bridlington’s five metre line, following runs by Hill and Swann. The home side dug in, as Wath pounded the line, until they were awarded a penalty, which they kicked at goal, to bring them within a point.

Bridlington were desperate to hold on to their lead, throwing everything at the visitors. The forwards knuckled down, creating short penetrative runs, edging their way up the park once more, wining penalty after penalty.

The back row got them on the front foot for Luxton and Daka to pound the defence, and from another penalty Muru kicked for a five-metre lineout.

A catch and drive by the pack set up quick ball for Davies to dive down the blind side to score a try, but this was disallowed for a forward pass.

Driving the resultant scrum backwards, Bridlington were able to turn the ball over, but again Luxton and Daka were stopped short, before PJ Freeman set up a good platform for Luxton to be driven over for a try to settle the result.

Man of the match: Adam Dixon - shirt sponsored by John Marsh Engineering Ltd

Club sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services