Outstanding debuts by youngest boxers

Bridlington boxers at the start of the show. Picture by Noel Malone.
Bridlington boxers at the start of the show. Picture by Noel Malone.

Bridlington’s youngest boxers stole the show at The Spa as a number of local fighters enjoyed a winning display in front of their home crowd.

Six of the host club’s boxers came out on top, and a number of others were unlucky not to get the verdict, as spectators were treated to another thrilling evening’s entertaiment.

The youngest of the Bridlington club’s line-up, Jack Marshall, kicked things off with a sparkling display.

Making his debut in a skills contest against Alex Stevenson from the Vulcan ABC in Hull, Marshall gained confidence from a couple of excellent early left-hand shots.

The fact that his opponent had kept him waiting in the ring for several minutes at the start clearly didn’t affect Marshall as he found his way through on numerous occasions.

After a tremendous start to the third round by the home boxer, the contest was stopped early because Stevenson picked up a hand injury, although he had been on the wrong end of a lot of punishment by that stage.

The most eye-catching performance of the night came from Cameron Connelly, in his first competitive bout. He made a composed and patient start against Halifax’s Joe Dignam, cleverly picking the right time to make his move.

Dignam, who was also in his first contest, had to take an early eight count, and when he took another before a minute had passed, referee Tim Rich called a stop to proceedings.

After that easy win, the pressure was on Connelly’s older brother Harry, who was next up and also making his debut.

He rose to the challenge but was given more of an examination by Laurence Farrow from Stainforth. Displaying a more all-action approach than his brother, Connelly showed good movement from the off.

The second round was evenly matched but Farrow landed more blows in the third and was looking stronger as the fight went on.

But Connelly dug deep in an absorbing contest and earned a unanimous decision from the judges.

British champion James Precious looked a class above Hull Saints ABC’s William Kettley. He controlled the fight from the start, without ever looking particularly dangerous.

It always appeared that he had an extra gear to shift into if necessary, but was rarely troubled on his way to a unanimous verdict.

Bridlington’s 100% start continued as Ben Malone saw off an opponent with national experience in George Standring of Hebden Bridge.

Malone’s effort earned him the Home Boxer of the Night award, but it was a very close contest which officials described as ‘amateur boxing at its very best’.

A technical match-up, rather than one of all-out attack, saw Malone do enough to get a unanimous decision.

The pair go head-to-head again in Halifax later this month.

Billy Gibson took on Jordon Riding from the St Paul’s Boxing Academy in Hull, and could count himself unlucky not to add his name to Bridlington’s list of winners.

He made a good solid start in the opening round, and landed a good left-hand midway through the second. Despite his efforts in the third, and another good left hand shot, Riding earned a split verdict, although Gibson will have a chance to gain revenge quickly at a rematch in Hull this weekend.

After a quite start, Aaron Boyes stepped up a gear in the second round of his light-welterweight youth contest against Travis Waters of Sunderland ABC.

He landed several good blows in the second half of the second round and didn’t look back, proving too good for the North East fighter.

Next into the ring was Leah Smith, facing Aimee Morris, who had travelled from Port Talbot in South Wales. Despite the long journey, Morris was named Away Boxer of the Night, but her efforts were still not enough to beat Smith, who landed the better shots in an evenly matched opening round.

The pattern continued in the second and third, but Smith was responsible for the more aggressive and telling blows and got the nod from all three judges.

After the interval, the seniors entered the ring, but Bridlington’s Paul Dean had to wait a while for the first bell, as officials ordered his opponent Kieron Gethin to have a shave before the bout could begin.

It was gritty, rather than pretty, with Dean concentrating on a good defence before starting to find his range more in the second round. Despite the rearguard action, he was unable to get through enough with shots of his own, and the middleweight from Pontypool took the decision unanimously.

Rounding off the bill was a heavyweight contest between home favourite Shane Green and Kamil Makowski, from Vulcan ABC, who had won an earlier bout between the two.

The first two minutes were cagey but there was a rip-roaring start to round two. Green’s display was full of heart and determination, but Makowski, backed by a vocal Polish following, was a big, strong opponent who Green just couldn’t make inroads on consistently enough.

It was a close call, but Makowski took the honours, although Green couldn’t have done much more in terms of effort.