No cup final hangover for Bridlington

editorial image

Following a great weekend at Twickenham, Bridlington found themselves back to work as normal, with a trip to Knottingley, who were hoping for a win or at least two bonus points, to move above Barnsley and off bottom position.

Bridlington were missing Auryn Murray, who had returned to South Africa, and Morgan Kinnaird, who was injured at Twickenham, This gave prop Jayson Stephenson his debut outing with the first team.

Picture by Andrew Kempton

Picture by Andrew Kempton

Bridlington applied pressure straight away but Knottingley defended well for a while, and managed to turn over the ball, but then were penalised at a scrum.

Stevie Mellonby kicked successfully at goal from the 22 metre line, putting Bridlington in front.

Knottingley restarted but the ball failed to go 10 metres, giving Bridlington the put in on the halfway line. But the bigger Knottingley pack drove Bridlington off the ball, and a good run by the flanker was stopped by Adam Dixon on Bridlington’s 22.

Knottingley continued with the forwards picking and driving, but Bridlington managed to turn the ball over for Ezra Luxton to start an attack.

This was short lived, and from a lineout, Knottingley caught and drove at the visitors again, eventually winning a penalty, but the kick at goal went wide.

Knottingley pressed again from the drop out, pounding Bridlington’s defence, but the visitors escaped with kicks down field. Then Sizwe Zondo got a hold of the ball inside his 22, running it out to halfway before being stopped.

The forwards worked hard to secure the ball for the backs to attack once more, with Luxton and Lee Warley having good runs up to the 22.

Knottingley escaped briefly after winning a scrum, but Bridlington were soon on the attack, and after good running by Ryan Kerr and AJ Burrows, Bridlington were soon awarded a penalty 30 meters out, which Mellonby kicked successfully.

Bridlington got possession again from the restart, with good running by the forwards to set up an attacking platform. Luxton and Ali Sutton made good runsbut were stopped 15 meters short, before quick ball along the back line saw Will Davies dive over for the first try of the match, converted by Mellonby.

Knottingley gathered their restart kick then pounded the defence, getting to within 10 metres from the Bridlington line.

After a rolling maul by the forwards, the centres joined to add their weight as they drove at the line, but they were kept out by great defence by the Bridlington pack.

But the referee awarded a penalty and showed a yellow card to Zondo. Bridlington managed to escape with a kick to touch following a lineout, but Knottingley quickly came back and eventually from a driving maul they were able to score a push-over try.

The score at the break was 13-7 to Bridlington

Knottingley started the second half well, driving up the park and keeping Bridlington pinned in their half.

Bridlington managed to turn the ball over, and good inter-play by Gary Heeley and Warley moved them upfield, but again Knottingley turned the ball over.

Zondo made another good surging run, offloading the ball and Girking and Davies got to Knottingley’s 40, but the move came to nothing.

A scrum on Bridlington’s 22 is won by Knottingley, who fed the backs and were able to pass along to the winger to score out wide.

Bridlington had to defend again from the restart, as Knottingley forwards pounded the defence once more, but Bridlington soon turned the ball over, and raced upfield.

Good runs by Mellonby, Martin Robinson and Jamie Muru meant Knottingley had to scramble back to defend, and they gave away a penalty 10 meters from their line, which Mellonby kicked.

Knottingley move quickly up the park from the restart, winning a scrum 15 metres from Bridlington’s line, Bridlington defended well, winning a scrum of their own, but the ball flew out the back of the scrum and Knottingley were able to dive on it for a converted try, taking the lead 19-16.

Bridlington were again on the defensive from the restart, and were pushed back into their 22, but turned the ball over and moved up to halfway through the backs, but the referee gives a scrum to Knottingley for a forward pass. Allowing them to escape, with a kick to touch.

Callum Cappleman and James Thompson linked with the backs, and a chip ahead by Muru was chased by Mellonby, only for Knottingley to slap the ball over the dead ball line for what should have been a penalty to Bridlington, but a drop out was the decision.

Bridlington returned the ball, but Micky Edmond stopped as he reached the 40, but Zondo set up Warley who in turn

got the ball to Davies to run in for his second try of the match, converted by Mellonby, giving the lead back to Bridlington.

Bridlington had to defend for the remainder of the game, but ultimately time ran out for Knottingley as the away team dug deep.

A scrum to Knottingley 15 meters from the Bridlington line was the last play, but as the ball was fired to the backs it was knocked on, allowing the referee to end the game.

This week Bridlington play their last game of the season away at North Ribblesdale.