Marauders confident of improving greatly

editorial image

Bridlington Marauders started their season with a tough friendly at Hullensians Hawks, although the 45-5 score doesn’t reflect the game at all.

At the beginning of the first half, the visitors gifted the home side a 12-point lead with some naive defending.

The Marauders then started to control the game and the forwards worked hard to get the upper hand on their opposite numbers.

However, more sloppy defending allowed the Hawks in for a third try and the home side had a 17-point lead at half time.

Unfortunately, the pattern at the beginning of the first period was duplicated at the beginning of the second half and two more quick tries for the home side effectively killed the game.

However, the Brid heads did not drop and indeed it was the Marauders who got on to the score sheet next with a try from captain Mark Floyd.

The Marauders continued to control the game and put pressure on the Hull line. Indeed, back row Josh Symonds thought he could add to the visitors’ tally when a slick handling move got him running on to space.

With metres to go to the line however, he ran out of steam and was stopped. His quick thinking however kept the ball alive and centre Tom Brown expertly pick up the ball one handed. With the try line at his mercy he lost control of the ball and the try went begging.

In the last quarter the home side added more tries and the score rather flattered them. The home side were able to regularly rotate players having a number of subs while the Marauders only had one.

Captain Floyd was proud of his charges at the end of the game and optimistic that with the inclusion of more players, the Marauders should be much more competitive in future.

In the forwards, prop Jayson Stephenson, second row Tom Hodgson and back-rowers Josh Symonds and Mike Clayton worked incredibly hard.

Dewi Roberts also stood out and looked good at scrum half when he switched with Ben Sutton at half time and Sutton was much more effective at back row.

Wide backs Matt Taylor and Joe Stephenson were secure in defence and didn’t really have much chances to run but did well with what they got it.

Centre and last year’s player of the year Tom Brown was belligerent as ever in both defence and attack, marshalled well by stand off Ben Lawry.

However, man of the match went to Nigel Cloughtey, who, in his first game for the club, had a stormer.