League leaders rack up highest score of season

Ryan Kerr touches down with ease
Ryan Kerr touches down with ease

Bridlington RUFC 51

Castleford RUFC 3

BRIDLINGTON entertained Castleford at home on Saturday, which was a warm day, with hardly any wind. The pitch was in good condition considering all the recent rain.

Castleford kicked off the game, Both teams enjoyed some possession and each were awarded penalties in the opening quarter of an hour of the game.

Following a penalty to Bridlington, prop Mark Floyd saw an opportunity, taking a quick tap was away, running at the visitors making five metres, his pack close on his heels.

Castleford soaked up the pressure, until they were able to clear the ball upfield. Regan Stirk collected this and the back line attacked, aided by the forwards at the 40 metre line.

Morgan Kinnaird stood off the ruck, again the forwards won quick ball, Jamie Muru released the backs, allowing Ryan Girking to go over for the first try of the match.

From the restart, the home side attacked again and their pressure eventually was rewarded, with a penalty to Bridlington within range of the uprights, and Muru was successful with the attempt.

Castleford managed to claim their own restart, with a short kick just making it past the 40 metre line.

The forwards made some ground, then the backs were brought into play. A good break by the inside centre crashed through the home defence, but was stopped by a great tackle by Ali Sutton.

But as the two sets of forwards collided, Castleford won themselves a penalty, which they converted successfully.

For the rest of the first half, Castleford had most of the possession; although they were down to 14 men after their number seven was yellow carded.

Even after his return they were still unable to escape their own half, except through the clearance kicks they sent up field, only for it to be returned, time and again by Sizwe Zondo or Gareth Roberts.

At the break the score was 8-3 in favour of the home team.

During the half time break, Ben Lawry, Kieran Lawry and Richard Girking, pointed out the mistakes the team were making, giving ideas as to how the team could improve for the second half.

This was evident immediately, as the home side progressed up field with some great running and off loading especially from Daniel Perkin and Ali Sutton.

Muru took control of the game chipping over the defence for Zondo to chase. The waiting Castleford winger did not release the ball as he dropped down to secure it, giving away a penalty, which Muru kicked successfully.

Bridlington again used the forwards to secure the ball from the restart, waiting for the opportunity to release the backs.

A great run by Gareth Roberts, who threw a dummy pass and hit a gap at pace scoring another try for the home side.

Castleford had their turn of possession, with some good individual running by their two centres putting them within striking distance of the try line.

Sutton, Floyd and Perkin had other ideas about this, putting in some big hits on the attackers, who eventually won a scrum five metres from the try line.

More fantastic tackling by Ryan Kerr and James Thompson meant Castleford were running out of attacking ideas and resorted to an attempt at a drop goal, which sailed wide of the posts.

Bridlington marched up the park with a combined effort by both backs and forwards, until they were eventually awarded a penalty.

A quick tap and pass saw Sizwe Zondo over for a try beneath the posts.

It was not long before Bridlington were in good position again, with Zondo breaking through the defence, before delivering a long pass out to Regan Stirk who also broke a couple of tackles as he scored just wide of the posts.

The game seemed to settle for what seemed like ages, with neither side making much ground.

An attempted clearance to touch was collected by Stirk, who made a great individual run, but was stopped five metres from the line.

The forwards were there quickly giving Martin Robinson time to findGirking with a great pass, putting him over for another try beneath the posts.

After a good restart by Castleford, as they pinned down the Bridlington pack, quick thinking by Daniel Perkin as he called for slow ball, organising his support ready for the next drive.

With all the attention now on him, a short pass was thrown to Ali Sutton, who made it up to the halfway line before he could be pulled to the ground.

As he presented the ball, Ryan Kerr picked and side-stepped the full back to score beneath the posts.

Castleford attacked again through the forwards but were stopped at the Bridlington 40 metre line by more great tackling which won them the scrum.

Man of the match James Thompson picked up from the base of the scrum, feeding Robinson.

Another pass saw Stirk away again, racing towards the try line at pace, stopped by the full back.

But with his forwards only yards away, the ball was recycled quickly, passing through all the backs’ hands, to the opposite winger Roberts to score out wide.

Following the successful conversion, the referee blew the final whistle.

LAWRY’S LATEST: The views of director of rugby Kieran Lawry

“SATURDAY was very much a game of two halves and it took a stern word or two to kick start us into action, but once we did we really showed what we can do with a blistering second half.

“To their credit, in the first half Castleford battled away and managed to stifle us quite well although we were trying to do too much when the simple basics would have sufficed.

“Once we picked the pace up in the second half and delivered what we talked about in the break it was like watching a different side.

“Thankfully we managed to turn on the style which will give us plenty of confidence going into this week’s massive clash with high flying Pocklington.

“Pock are known for their big pack and hard running game so it could be a real test of our league credentials.

“Few players stood out in the first half against Cas but a few second half performances really shone, especially from Ryan Kerr, Gareth Roberts, Regan Stirk and man of the match James Thompson.

“We have almost a full side to pick from this week and selection for places is really hotting up.

“This has had a great impact in training as everyone now understands that they are fighting for their shirt.

“Hopefully we will once again see some good weather come Saturday and notch up another win that will see us stretch our lead at the top of the table.”