Home side fail to get to grips with York forwards

James Thompson takes York on
James Thompson takes York on

Bridlington RUFC 18

York RUFC 27

YORK were looking to avenge the double loss at the beginning of the season, when Bridlington beat them in both league and Yorkshire Shield matches.

The surface was slippery from earlier rain, and the temperature had dropped, with a gusting wind around the ground.

This would make handling and kicking difficult.

Bridlington kicked off the match, deep to the visitors’ 22, but York gathered this and returned the kick.

Regan Stirk was on hand to catch the ball, kicking to touch for a lineout on York’s 40 metre line. But an infringement at the lineout, gave Bridlington a free kick.

Stevie Mellonby took it quickly, feeding Morgan Kinnaird, the forwards set up a good attacking platform for the backs, who won a penalty inside York’s 22,

Mellonby again took this quickly, but was stopped six metres short of the try line. York then got the upper hand as they marched upfield until they were awarded a penalty, which they kicked successfully at goal.

From the restart ,York again made progress up the park, despite some good tackling by the home side, and even a penalty was not enough to stop the visitors.

A scrum was awarded to them just outside Bridlington’s 22, from which they broke out.

Despite being stopped 15 metres from the try line, with the ball secured, they released the backs to attack, scoring a converted try out wide.

Again Bridlington were under pressure, the forwards putting in tackle after tackle, as the visitors attacked relentlessly, until Bridlington were awarded a penalty seven metres from their try line.

A good clearance kick by Stirk won a lineout, which was claimed by Tom Benninger.

The forwards secured the ball, releasing it quickly to allow the backs to run the ball out. Ryan Girking made a great run breaking a few tackles as he went, before passing to Gareth Roberts.

He too was able to break a few tackles to score a converted try beneath the posts, at last getting the home side on to the scoreboard.

York wasted no time from the restart. Ali Sutton and Morgan Kinnaird tackled well, stopping the attack momentarily, as York moved ever nearer the try line.

The forwards took over again as they drove at the home side, and they were soon rewarded as they piled over for a converted try.

Towards the end of the first half they again marched up the field, kicking successfully at goal, from a penalty just inside Bridlington’s 22 metre line.

York, 20-7 ahead, kicked off the second half, and the ball was caught by Daniel Perkin and secured by the forwards.

Sizwe Zondo, Girking and Roberts linked well, as Bridlington edged their way up the field, the forwards securing the ball at each breakdown.

They had to up their work rate, as the referee kept awarding scrums, and it was from one of these scrums that the Bridlington pack won a penalty, Mellonby stepped up and successfully kicked at goal.

Bridlington were again on the defensive from the restart, as York pressurised them. Another penalty to York deep in the Bridlington half, was kicked to touch for a 5 metre lineout.

Bridlington were forced to shuffle the backs as Kieran Lawry came on for the injured Zondo and a catch and drive by York from the lineout, saw them crossing the line again for a converted try.

York again pounded the Bridlington defence from the restart, but this time the Bridlington forwards were able to turn the ball over, feeding the backs with quick ball to attack.

York could only give away a penalty to stop them, and a good kick by Stirk gave them an attacking platform on York’s 22 metre line.

Good driving by the pack gave the home side another penalty. Mellonby kicked this successfully at goal.

James Thompson caught the restart kick, turned and made a few metres before being brought down.

The forwards secured the ball for Mellonby to box kick, fortunately this was caught by the wind, bouncing into touch on York’s 22 metre line.

York managed to escape to the halfway line from the resultant lineout, but gave away a free kick to Bridlington from a scrum on the halfway line, which was taken quickly.

Tom Kemp organised the players, as they attacked time and again.

A penalty was kicked for a lineout 10 metres from the try line.

York were able to soak up the pressure until they managed to turn the ball over.

Bridlington made a change as Danny Palmer came on for Perkin at hooker. The visitors continue to pound the try line, but the defence stood firm, repelling each attack, then finally winning a penalty, to clear their line.

Then following a scrum a York player was shown a red card, as the players erupted after some foul play, resulting in a penalty to Bridlington.

The home side kept their heads, making good progress up the park, then a break out by the backs, saw Kieran Lawry cross the line for a try.

The conversion would have won a bonus point for being within seven points, but unfortunately this was missed.

Sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services

This week Bridlington are at away at Pontefract