Five tries but Bridlington begin with a defeat

editorial image

Pontefract 48

Bridlington 31

Yorkshire One League

A buoyant Pontefract opened their Yorkshire One campaign with a thrilling victory over last season’s Twickenham finalists.

In sunny conditions, the game set off at a frantic pace with both teams showing great attacking intent from the start.

Some early pressure on the visitors’ line lead to the first score when Andy Fradgely gathered his own charge down to crash over in the corner. Andy Dean added the conversion.

Bridlington soon replied when their slick backs managed to out flank the home defence and Ryan Girking dived over for an unconverted try.

With only 10 minutes played, Dean extended the lead with a well struck penalty when an eager Brid defence strayed offside.

Brid superbly regathered the kick off and managed to get on level terms with a try in the corner from AJ Burrows.

Andy Fenton and John Fradgely started to supply a succession of good ball that Glen Boyd expertly used to set up numerous attacking positions. Ferocious tackling from Parry and Townend kept Brid on the back foot as Pontefract increased the tempo.

The front row of Griffin, Smith and Parry put the visitors’ scrum under pressure and from one of these scrums Andy Townend fed Cardiff who scampered home for a well deserved try.

A rampant home side extended the lead with a Dean penalty shortly followed by a well-crafted try by debutant Barlow, again converted by Dean.

A string of penalties against the home side allowed Brid’s Auryn Mrray to crash over from close range to close the gap but a Rob Novak try gave Pontefract the bonus point and a very healthy 34-17 half time lead.

An early interception try from the effervescent Cardiff put the game to bed with half an hour still to play. Dean converted to make it 41-17.

From a scrum, Andy Townend battered his way over for a converted try and Dean, filling in at centre, completed the perfect day with the boot, converting all six tries and adding two penalties.

Tries from Bridlington’s Oliver Stephenson and Will Davies, both converted by Stevie Mellonby, gave the scoreline a more respectable look in the last five minutes.

Read the views of Bridlington director of rugby Jamie Muru in Thursday’s Free Press.