First back-to-back wins lift Brid up the table

Heath 15 Bridlington 20
Heath 15 Bridlington 20

Bridlington’s efforts to get their Yorkshire One campaign back on track continued as they recorded back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

Victory at Heath, only their third win in 10 outings, lifted them a place in the table and to within four points of their opponents.

A youthful-looking Heath side took to the field at North Dean looking to build on two league wins on the trot and they got off to a great start with a penalty after Cameron Ramsden was hit by a late tackle.

Bridlington came straight back at Heath but sterling defensive work from the home side eventually allowed Ramsden to clear after Brid dropped the ball and knocked on.

Heath withstood continuous pressure but when Ezra Hinchliffe, Peter Birkett and Sam Pollard combined, Ryan Hunter was in support to go over for a try on 15 minutess.

A superb touchline conversion from Hinchliffe extended Heath’s lead to 10-0 but Bridlington were not down and continued to battle for points.

On 20 minutes, after sustained pressure, the referee eventually lost patience and awarded Brid a penalty try which was converted by Stevie Mellonby to bring Brid back into the game

Brid stormed back and Heath were on the rack and their cause was not helped when Olly Cook was adjudged to be off his feet in a maul and sin-binned five minutes before half time.

Heath remained dogged in defence but could not prevent South African prop Ntsikeyomzi Daka from going over in the corner. The conversion was missed but Brid were in 12-10 in front, as the ref blew for half time.

With Heath still down to 14 men, Mellonby slotted over another penalty early in the second half.

On the hour mark Bridlington’s Martin Robinson went over for a disputed try in the corner but responded and two minutes later were awarded a penalty but Hinchliffe’s attempt was just wide.

Eventually, sustained pressure eventually paid dividends when Thackray went over for an unconverted try on 78 minutess to make the score 15–20.

But Bridlington held on in the final minutes for a much-needed victory.