Disappointing end to the year for Bridlington RUFC

BridlingtonRUFC 14 v 29 York RUFC
BridlingtonRUFC 14 v 29 York RUFC

Bridlington 14

York 29

Yorkshire One

BRIDLINGTON were at home to York on Saturday, losing in a high scoring match which saw seven tries scored.

Worse though was the fact that they may have lost another two players to injuries, but with a three-week gap now for the festive period, the casualties may all be fit again ready for the next match in January.

Bridlington kicked off the match, which York quickly gathered and kicked to touch for a lineout on the halfway line. From there York won themselves a couple of penalties which took them to 15 metres from the line for a lineout.

After a catch and drive by them, before releasing their backs, Bridlington were saved 10 metres from their line by a penalty

Bridlington applied pressure, a pick and go from the base of the scrum by Auryn Murray, offloading to Martin Robinson who chipped ahead, York`s winger could only chase back and kick the ball into touch.

Will Davies retrieved a long kick and ran the ball back at the visitors, but York managed to turn the ball over. Kicking for touch but the ball stayed in play, Ezra Luxton retrieved the ball then touched it down in goal, but the referee played on as he didn’t touch it down immediately.

He had to run the ball out from behind his line, York were there in numbers, but Luxton managed to win a penalty as he drove out. Ryan Girking was shown a yellow card when he confronted the referee about the grounding of the ball.

Bridlington then had to defend against another York wave of attacks, managing to clear their line a couple of times by kicking, but still York ran back at them.

A kick up field by York was gathered by Oliver Stephenson, who ran the ball out from his 22, stepping past a number of tackles before eventually being stopped short of the halfway line.

Despite good play by the forwards, York turned over the ball releasing the backs with quick ball; this allowed them to score a converted try.

York kept their momentum going, edging up the field, then from a short distance the outside centre ran a diagonal line and scored another converted try.

Bridlington applied pressure on York from the restart, making their way slowly up the park, then winning a penalty 30 metres from the line. Robinson kicked for goal but the ball bounced back off the upright.

Bridlington won a penalty and the referee showed a yellow card to a York forward. Taken quickly by Robinson, he fed Adam Dixon, who was stopped a metre short of the line, and then another penalty was taken quickly by Robinson, this time to Girking, forwards in numbers picked the ball and drove over the line for Ali Sutton to score a converted try.

York were quick to put Bridlington under pressure from the restart, a great tackle by Dixon on the half way line, stopped the attack. The resultant ruck saw Tom Kemp yellow carded, as he thought the ball had come out of the ruck.

York started the second half as they finished the first, but a penalty to Bridlington inside the 22, gave them a chance to attack.

Good runs by Luxton, Dixon and Murray progressed them upfield, then a good kick by Robinson put them 15 metres from the line.

But another poor lineout gave the ball back to York. They again made their way up the field, again stopped in the 22.

Bridlington strung many phases together, as they attacked the York defence, and another penalty, was kicked for a lineout seven metres from the line.

Time and again Bridlington pounded the York defence, eventually the ball was lost forward, and this allowed York to clear their line.

A poor lineout by the home side, gave a scrum to York, from which they picked and drove up field. They were able to keep the ball moving, then the backs were released, kicking ahead, and they chased well and dived on the ball as it crossed the line for an unconverted try.

After good defence by Bridlington, winning possession as a maul collapsed, Luxton and Heeley made good runs up to the York 40, quick ball by Robinson and good runs by Murray, Dixon and Luxton, set up a kick through the defence for Kerr and Burrows to chase, both diving on the ball in goal, but the referee instead awarded a five metre scrum.

But it was York who got the upper hand, and a penalty when Brid took too long at the throw in, culminating in a try for their winger.

Bridlington had to defend again from the restart, but quickly got hold of the ball, as they made their way up field once more, a chip ahead by Robinson was chased by Stephenson.

He kicked again before gathering the ball, only to be forced into touch. York managed to get possession of the ball, their number eight running from the base of the ruck, but losing the ball forward.

Zolani Faba was quickest to react, picking the ball up he ran in from 15 metres out to score a converted try.

York’s forwards were able to score another try shortly after the restart, and the referee ended the game following the conversion.

Sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services