Bridlington still searching for first league win

North Ribblesdale 10 Bridlington 6
North Ribblesdale 10 Bridlington 6
Share this article

Bridlington’s long trip to North Ribblesdale brought no reward as they suffered their second straight league defeat.

North Ribblesdale captain Jonathon Richards was given the opportunity to open the scoring with an early kick at goal, but this sailed wide of the posts.

Bridlington tried a quick drop out, but with a pass not going to hand, the home side were given an attacking lineout just inside the visitors 22.

A couple of phases resulted in a knock on giving a scrum to the visitors, but Ribblesdale drove, winning possession again, picking and driving at the visitors.

Number eight Matt Speres was able to cross the line for the only try of the match, converted by Richards.

Both teams had and squandered chances for the rest of the half, as there was good defence on both sides, however Bridlington were on the back foot for most of the time, losing possession on the few opportunities that had in attack.

Bridlington brought on new player Jack Arthur for the second half at full back. Otis Floyd caught the restart kick, and released Gary Stevens, passing to Arthur who had barely caught the ball before he was tackled by the two rushing centres, but he managed to keep possession until the forwards arrived.

However Ribblesdale won a penalty as their forwards arrived to the ruck and Richards was able to increase the score to 10-0.

Bridlington attacked from the restart and were quick to win a penalty, Arthur kicked at goal from outside Ribblesdale’s 40, his first attempt at goal going wide.

It wasn’t long before he was given another chance, again from a similar range and this time he was able put Bridlington on the scoreboard.

Both teams battled to possession, as each had good phases of play, but both were guilty of forcing the pass or holding on in the tackle, trying to get a break.

Bridlington seemed to string more and more phases together as the game wore on. Arthur was given another long penalty kick at goal with seven minutes left on the clock, adding another three points.

Ribblesdale ended with the upper hand, attacking a tired Bridlington defence, but they manage to hold out until the final whistle.