Bridlington run in 10 tries to crush Yarnbury

Jimmy Thompson scores his second try.
Jimmy Thompson scores his second try.

After a morning spent ensuring a sodden pitch was playable, Bridlington’s players received their reward in the afternoon as they demolished Yarnbury 67-0.

It was their third consecutive home game without conceding a try and they remain in third spot in Yorkshire One, with a points difference bettered only by leaders Bradford & Bingley.

Ali Sutton

Ali Sutton

This was a magnificent effort by the whole squad, dominating the opposition in all aspects of play, edging the scrummages, with solid, accurate lineouts and extremely good handling in tricky conditions, scoring 10 tries and earning a well-deserved five points.

The game was played on the second team pitch, to give the first team pitch an extra week to recover after it was very cut up during last week’s Turnbull Trophy game.

The home team were better able to cope with the mud and a slippery ball, to play the expansive rugby that fans have come to expect. With a more thoughtful kicking game and deft handling they kept the score ticking along throughout the 80 minutes.

Their first score, on 12 minutes, came after a penalty on the Yarnbury 22. From a secure lineout, the ball went through several pairs of hands and a strong Paddy Waines surge saw him go over. The try was unconverted to give Bridlington a 5-0 lead.

Bridlington 67 Yarnbury 0

Bridlington 67 Yarnbury 0

Bridlington continued to press strongly, with both sides making mistakes that halted any real scoring chances. With most of the play in the opposition half, Bridlington were looking the more dangerous, and on 28 minutes, a quickly tapped penalty and some smart handling resulted in a try by Jamie Martin. Jack Arthur’s excellent conversion increased the lead to 12-0.

Another four minutes elapsed and Bridlington were on the scoresheet again. After an exchange of kicks, and a Bridlington interception, number eight Jimmy Thompson ran strongly from 30 metres out to score, giving Arthur a comfortable conversion to bring the score to 19-0.

After the restart Yarnbury got into the Bridlington half for pretty much the first time, but after a lineout and an attempted maul, their ball was stolen and Bridlington were on the attack again and back in the Yarnbury half.

On 35 minutes, good handling by the forwards after a scrum, led to another powerful run by Waines, to go over for his second try, converted by Arthur to increase the lead to 26-0.

At the restart, a good kick deep into the opposition half left Yarnbury scrambling, and forced a penalty to Bridlington for holding on. Opting for the points, Jack Arthur landed an excellent kick to finish the half with Bridlington 29 points ahead.

The second half went pretty much the same as the first, with most of the play in the Yarnbury half, and Bridlington continuing to handle well and to look dangerous with the ball in hand.

Within five minutes of the restart, a lineout to Bridlington saw the ball fed to Waines, who proved, with a 30 metre dash, that he has speed as well as strength, to score his third try close to the posts, converted easily by Matiu Welch to increase the lead to 36-0.

Bridlington continued to make good progress deep into the opposition half after the restart, and after a scrum, a clever run by Otis Floyd, allowed him to touch down, converted by Arthur.

A short period of broken play followed, with both teams tiring in the very heavy conditions. A Yarnbury maul was stopped by Bridlington, to gain a scrum, and the ball quickly fed out to the right wing and with fantastic back-up and handling by several backs, Ryan Girking was able to score in the corner.

The try was unconverted from wide out.

After the restart, Yarnbury were caught offside virtually on their own line, and after a good push by the Bridlington pack, a typical Jimmy Thompson strong run brought his second try of the game, Arthur’s conversion made it 55-0.

As the game drew into the final few minutes, Bridlington weren’t finished yet. From another secure lineout, Welch added a ninth try, with the inevitable conversion by Arthur.

The final score of the game came with a Bridlington penalty being quickly tapped, excellent handling yet again resulted in a try by Jayson Stephenson in the corner, although in the dying seconds Waines got over the line for the fourth time, only for the ball to be dislodged as he grounded.