Bridlington progress in Yorkshire Shield

Bridlington 41 Roundhegians 3
Bridlington 41 Roundhegians 3

Bridlington breezed through their Yorkshire Shield tie comfortably, with a dominant second-half display against Roundhegians.

However, they fell behind early on, when the visitors strung a few phases together, and eventually the hosts conceded a penalty and scrum half Wollaston kicked successfully at goal to open the scoring.

Bridlington came back strongly, running at the visitors, until James Thompson was able to break the line into the 22. Good support from the pack won a penalty 15 metres out, which allowed Stevie Mellonby to level the scores.

For the rest of the first half, the teams seemed evenly matched, each having breaks, but at the same time each showing good defence.

Bridlington started the second half as they had the first, and an early break by Will Davies down the touchline should have resulted in a try, but his pass inside to Gary Stevens was knocked on by the Roundhegians scrum half as he tried to intercept.

The hosts came back at them again, but the visitors were again able to turn the ball over and clear their lines, but this time the ball went to Will Davies who started another attack from inside his 22.

The ball passed through a number of hands, before Stephenson took over just outside the visitors’ 40 metre line, and evaded a number of tacklers, crossing the line for the first try of the match, converted by Mellonby.

Bridlington quickly made their way up the park from the restart, Callum Sanderson, Auryn Murray and Davies each made good runs, to put Thompson in for the first of his two tries, again converted by Mellonby.

As the Bridlington pack began to get the upper hand, Mellonby gathered a long kick and the backs moved the ball quickly along the line as they attacked. PJ Freeman was stopped five metres short of the line, but the rest of the pack was at hand to secure the ball, and Thompson picked up and drove for the line to score his second try.

Jamie Martin found Ryan Girking on the 40 metre line, ands he had a clear run in to score beneath the posts.

Bridlington soaked up the pressure for a while, before Kemp was able to fire a long pass out to Tom Willson on the wing, and a break by him allowed Mellonby to score another try.

Towards the end of the half, Kemp used this tactic once more, again Willson broke the line, linking this time with Stevens, who was able to find Gary Heeley, who managed to stay on his feet until the rest of the forwards arrived to drive him over the line.