Bridlington just hold off York fightback

Bridlington 33 York 32
Bridlington 33 York 32

Bridlington had a strong first half against well-fancied York but only just held on in the second half to win a single point.

York kicked off and after only two minutes Bridlington infringed to give Yorthe visitors a penalty which was duly kicked, however, an immediate response from the kick off saw Gary Heeley go over two minutes later, ably converted by Jack Arthur to make the score 7-3.

Bridlington continued to take the game to their opponents and on 15 minutes Micky Edmond scored a try, again converted by Arthur, as the hosts were playing well and looking good.

Only a few minutes later, Will Davies once again ran well to get the ball over York’s line, and Arthur made it three out of three conversions.

In the 26th minute an unconverted try brought York back to 21-8 and on the half hour, Heeley was yellow carded so Bridlington were down to 14 men for the remainder of the half.

The ensuing penalty, a scrum and a reset scrum brought York dangerously close to the Bridlington line and after several forward phases, they scored their second try.

At the drop out York made steady progress into the Bridlington half until the home side forced a turnover. A superb kick through to the right wing by Jamie Muru was latched on to by Davies and brought his second try, and a bonus point. The kick hit the right post but at 26-13 there was a bit of breathing space.

A short York drop-out was gathered by Bridlington, and with some slick handling down the right wing and a switch across to the left, the York defence were left floundering to allow Gary Stevens to score an easy try, converted by Arthur to put Bridlington 20 points up.

After the break, an immediate scrum to York led short period of changes of possession and a stoppage for a Bridlington injury. At the restart Muru was subbed and some scrappy play ensued, with several penalties against the home side leading to York being in the Bridlington half for much of this period.

A quick tapped penalty and good pressure led to a York try which was converted to make the score 33-20. The balance of play now swung towards York, not helped by a yellow card for Callum Sanderson, presumably for dissent.

After the kick-off Bridlington once again found themselves trapped in their own half, until they eventually got possession but a good run down the right wing by Davies ended when he was adjudged to have been in touch before offloading.

Better pressure by York forwards forced them to within a few metres of the Bridlington line, and after a good run by the York right winger, Bridlington conceded a try on the far right, the York kicker landing a good conversion to make the score 33-27.

With only a few minutes to go, and York with their tails up, this was a nervous time for Bridlington. More was to come, with York once again pressing hard close to the Bridlington line as the last minute or two approached, and a concerted attack by their forwards resulted in their third try of the half.

To the relief of Bridlington and their spectators, the kicker missed the conversion, and after two or three minutes Bridlington were able to put the ball dead for full time.