Bonus-point consolation for Bridlington

York 31 Bridlington 20
York 31 Bridlington 20

On a bitterly cold and overcast day, Bridlington’s task at York was not helped by the fact that the floodlights were not working properly, coming on and off during the second half of the game.

Despite this, Bridlington played very well, even though they had to defend for long periods of time.

Bridlington had to soak up the pressure from the start as they were forced backwards by the home side time and again. They showed a good defensive display, that was until Will Davies got his hands on the ball. He ran from inside his own 22, tip-toeing down the touchline, avoiding many tackle attempts, to score a great try out by the corner flag.

Bridlington again had to sit back as York applied the pressure, but a penalty allowed them to escape. Turning the ball over, the visitors had a good spell, wining another penalty and they opted to kick at goal, but in the strong wind it fell short of the posts.

York came back harder than ever, a quick tap from a penalty gave them a break through the defence and were it not for a great tackle into touch by Ryan Kerr they would surely have scored a try.

The visitors worked their way up the park to halfway, where the referee showed a yellow card to a Bridlington forward. York kicked for a lineout, from which they caught and drove at the defence, until they crossed the line for a converted try.

York attacked straight from the restart, again driving the visitors back, but Davies was able to strip the ball, again running down the touchline, for another unconverted try.

The home side strung phases together until they broke through the Bridlington defence but Kerr again was on hand to stop the attack, this time turning over the ball for Lee Terewi to clear.

But this was charged down and Bridlington were able to run the ball out, but at the expense of another yellow card, just as the first sin-binned player was set to return.

York continued to pound the defence with their forwards, and then they released the backs who had an overlap to score another converted try.

With Bridlington again heavily penalised by the referee at the start of the second half, it was only a matter of time, before York had the opportunity to score again.

Sure enough York’s centre broke through the defence, for the winger to run on to score an unconverted try.

Bridlington found themselves pinned in their own half, as they were penalised time and again by the referee, which resulted in yet another try by York’s forwards.

The visitors were quick to respond with a diving maul which released PJ Freeman to score a try.

A poor defensive decision by the visitors, as they tried to run out from their own line, gave a five-metre scrum to York, from which they were able to score another try.

Bridlington were able to keep their heads up, and with a restart to the backs, Ryan Girking was able to hack the ball on as York failed to gather it properly.

This allowed the forwards to drive at the home side, a couple of drives by them, before Ezra Luxton dived over for a bonus-point try.

Time was fast running out for them to make a comeback and York were soon able to kick the ball off the park to end the game.

Bridlington need to rest players over the festive season, to recover from the injuries sustained in this match, but all should be able to shake them off before the New Year.

The club thanked Otis Floyd, for stepping in at the last minute to run the touchline for the team.

Man of the match was Will Davies - shirt sponsored by Gosschalks Solicitors.

Club sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services