Bingham bags hat-trick in second-half fightback

York 4ths v Bridlington 3rds
York 4ths v Bridlington 3rds

Bridlington 3rds travelled to York 4ths on Saturday, hoping to do the double after beating them at home earlier in the season.

Their numbers were boosted by an out of the blue phone call from a Nestle Rowntree player, whose game had been cancelled.

Brid started strongly with good runs by Liam Hughes and Matty Taylor but it was their guest player who got the first try when he broke clear to score.

Sam Johnson was unlucky with the conversion.

From the restart, Michael Chatham drove the ball forward and set the backs in motion. After a few slick passes, John Spence took the ball over the line but was held up.

York then cleared their lines and started to press forward. Bringing on five 2nd team subs helped their cause and mistakes at the back gave them their first try.

With their tails now up, York turned the screw and only a typical Daniel Kempton try-saving tackle kept them out. This was only short lived as York then scored two tries and one conversion in a 10-minute period where Brid fell to sleep. 17-7.

Something had to change, so Ben Lawry and Jordan Bingham came on and shored up the defence until half time.

With a dressing down at the break, Brid picked up the pieces and changed their tactics. Pick and drive started to gain yards and got the visitors into the York 22. However the ball was lost and York cleared.

Hughes gathered close to his own try line and set off up the left of the field. He rounded the winger and number seven before stepping inside the full-back and scoring under the sticks, giving Johnson an easy conversion.

Brid now were on the up and attacked the defence of York. Lawry took the ball forward and slipped it to Bingham. His pace easily beat his opposing winger and grounded the ball next to the posts. Johnson converted.

From the kick-off, the Marauders again headed towards the York 22. From a scrum,Mike Ridsdale picked up from number eight and took on the defenders. He passed the ball to Bingham who dived over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Now under constant attack, York gave away the ball and Spence capitalised. He broke through and recorded the next points. The conversion was missed so the score stayed at 17-31.

York restarted and Johnson regathered. He kicked behind the full back and chased through. Kempton put the full back in two minds and Johnson got his foot to the ball and dabbed it towards the line. A kind bounce saw it jump into his hands and he touched down but missed the extra points.

Time was running out but Brid’s intensity never wained. More forward drives by Mark Floyd, Eddie Morrell, Jai Campbell and Andy Kempton got them to the 22.

Lawry took the ball from a ruck and fed Bingham for his hat-trick. Johnson converted for 17­-43.

In the dying seconds, Hughes was free again and heading to the line. He unselfishly passed to Jeremy Garnett who went for the corner. In the act of diving for the whitewash he was tackled into touch and the game was ended.

A convincing performance with only 10 minutes of lack of concentration. Man of the match was shared by three-try hero Bingham and Garnett for his support work.