Back to winning ways after bonus point victory

AJ Burrows and Sizwe Zondo make a last-ditch tackle.
AJ Burrows and Sizwe Zondo make a last-ditch tackle.
Share this article

Bridlington RUFC 24

Dinnington RUFC 5

ON AN unseasonably hot day, Dinnington kicked off the match, and the ball was secured well by the Bridlington pack, feeding the backs for an early run at their opposition.

But the visitors dug their heels in and managed to win a penalty. A good kick brought them up to the home side’s 22 metre line. The Dinnington pack won the line out and drove at the defence, until they were just five metres out, when the scrum half nipped round the blind side and scored in the corner.

Bridlington’s Jamie Muru kicked off short to the backs and it was collected by Ryan Girking.

The home team moved the ball well up to 5 metres from the visitors’ try line, where they conceded a penalty, which Dinnington used to clear their lines.

The visitors started to again apply pressure on the Bridlington pack, but to no avail as they gave away a penalty. Bridlington took a quick tap and following some good handling in the backs, Regan Stirk scored a try out wide.

Bridlington secured the ball from the restart, where they were awarded a penalty because of some handling in the ruck.

The ball was moved quickly to the backs, this time feeding centre Ryan Girking who broke several attempted tackles to score out wide.

Dinnington tried to kick the ball deep into the Bridlington half, only to be secured by Stirk who managed to run the ball out from within his own 22, racing up the touchline, where he kicked over the defenders and collected his own kick, but unfortunately put a foot into touch.

From the line out Dinnington lost their tempers, when a Bridlington set piece allowed them to tackle the ball carrier who was behind his shield of forwards.

This resulted in a penalty being awarded to Bridlington. Scrum half Martin Robinson took this quick and fed Muru who used a cross field kick for winger AJ Burrows, but unfortunately he was unable to gather.

Dinnington won the scrum and kicked deep again but into the arms of full back Sizwe Zondo, who managed to run the ball back as far as the halfway line.

The rest of the half saw Bridlington give away an unprecedented six penalties, but luckily for the home team none of these were close enough for the visitors to increase their score. Half time 10-5 to Bridlington.

The second half saw both teams using their forwards to move the ball up the park, until Bridlington released the ball to their backs.

This saw Ryan Kerr over for a try which Muru converted.

The forwards again kept the ball with each side making some ground, before losing the ball, eventually one of the Dinnington players took exception, and attacked Rob Medforth, who retaliated just as the referee turned and saw them. Both players were shown the yellow card.

The Bridlington pack began to lose patience with the referee, with the visitors continually laying over the ball or were lying on the wrong side in the rucks, none of which were, penalised by the referee and instead, they found themselves being penalised.

Bridlington’s scrum half Martin Robinson, stopped the visitors number eight every time he picked up from the base of the scrum, until eventually the home side forwards managed to turn over the ball and feed the backs.

This allowed Stirk to score his second try, which again was converted by Muru.

Bridlington eventually found themselves again in the opposition’s 22, picking and going from the base of rucks.

This saw firstly Gary Heeley being stopped five metres from the try line, then replacement Michael Clayton was stopped a metre from the try line.

But Dinnington again were awarded a penalty to clear their lines.

Club sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services

Next week Bridlington are away at Knottingley. The next home fixture is on October 15, when they face Keighley