Worksop go top as they stop Town’s winning run

Bridlington Town 1 Worksop Town 3
Bridlington Town 1 Worksop Town 3

Worksop Town moved to the top of the NCEl Premier Division table - and they had plenty of reason to thank Bridlington Town.

Not only did they leave Queensgate with all three points, but Seasiders’ old boys scored all four of Barton Town’s goals to defeat title rivals Tadcaster Albion.

An early red card was the key moment in Brid’s defeat. Lewis Clarkson picked up two yellow cards in the opening 15 minutes, leaving Town with what looked like an impossible task

Already 1-0 by the time the striker was given his marching orders, it seemed that Bridlington’s prirority would be damage limitation, but instead they were the more dangerous side in the opening period, before tiredness caught up with them.

The Tigers took just six minutes to break the deadline. Andrew Ofosu dodged a couple of weak challenges and passed to Kyle Jordan, who stroked the ball past James Hitchcock from 15 yards.

No stranger to a referee’s notebook, Clarkson picked up a cheap yellow card for a foul on Jamie Hadfield in an aerial battle.

Hadfield tried to take revenge moments later, clipping Clarkson as he raced down the wing, but referee Nicholas Hawksby played advantage.

Clarkson’s shot missed the target, but there was no belated punishment from the official for the defender’s foul.

When another foul went unnoticed shortly afterwards, Clarkson reacted by chopping down James Cottingham from a throw-in and Hawksby gave him a second booking.

Anyone who was fearing the worst for the hosts was pleasantly surprised, as for the rest of the first half, they were the dominant side.

Ofosu had seen an effort ruled out for offside, but apart from that, Jon Kennedy was the busier keeper.

Ryan Nicholls put a shot over and then Ombeni Ruhanduka rattled the underside of the crossbar after a one-two with Tom Fleming.

Hard-working Will Waudby produced a tame effort from a good position, before Kennedy excelled in one-on-one situations to deny Bridlington an equaliser.

Firstly, he blocked Joel Sutton’s effort with his legs, then he stood tall to deny Duka after Worksop’s offside trap had failed.

Fleming was booked for a bad foul, and Chris Jenkinson was also cautioned for stopping a Worksop counter attack with a handball. Goalscorer Jordan also picked up a soft yellow card as frustrations grew with some of the decisions.

In the second half, Town were unable to offer as much going forward after their excellent effort in the first 45 minutes, and Worksop enjoyed more of the play.

Jordan sent Mitch Husbands free and as he rounded Hitchcock, he trod on the ball and the keeper recovered.

A brilliant fingertip save by the Bridlington number one denied Worksop captain Steven Woolley and he also kept out a Husbands shot from eight yards after a venture down the left by Jack Waddle.

Jordan shinned an effort wide after a long ball bounced through the home side’s defence, but Bridlington were still in the game at 1-0.

Waudby grazed the post with Hesletine flashed an attempt wide of the post as Brid enjoyed success down the flanks.

But Worksop’s pressure always looked like paying off. Hitchcock saved Adam Ward’s free kick, and then dived to his left to push away a low curling effort from the same player.

He was caught out on 73 minutes when sub Conor Higgingson was afforded too much space 30 yards out and he floated a shot over the keeper.

In the final minute, Worksop added a third, which flattered them somewhat, as the ball was swept across the box and Jordan stepped inside Nicholls and he finished clinically.

However, there was still time for Sutton to grab a consolation for Bridlington.

The very last kick of the match saw his half-volley whizz pastKennedy, who simply watched as it bounced into the net off the inside of the post.