Where there’s a Will, there’s a way for Town

WillM Waudby scored the only goal against Armthorpe Welfare.
WillM Waudby scored the only goal against Armthorpe Welfare.

Will Waudby’s late winner earned three points for Bridlington Town just when it looked like stubborn Armthorpe Welfare had done enough to frustrate them.

After countless blocks by defenders and several saves by keeper Leigh Overton, Waudby kept his head to finally make the breakthrough.

With eight minutes left on the clock, good vision by Joel Sutton spotted Waudby in space on the right, and a perfectly weighted pass sent the winger away one-on-one with Overton, and he confidently beat the keeper and ran off to celebrate with the Ultras fans behind the goal.

Until then, it looked like the game would follow a script familiar to many fans. Welfare defended in numbers, putting their bodies on the line, and stifling Town’s attacks - and no-one would have been entirely surprised if they had soaked up all the pressure and found a late winner themselves.

Overton showed his intentions in the first half, tipping over Andy Norfolk shot, before Waudby fired narrowly wide from 20 yards after a great pass by Tom Fleming.

Fleming headed wide from eight yards, when he was left unmarked, and Bridlington continued to put pressure on the visitors goal as half time approached.

Ryan Nicholls’ downward header was pushed wide by Overton, and the keeper then kept out Benn Lewis’ at his near post.

After the break, the one-way traffic continued. Paul Wray’s snapshot from the edge of the area was straight down Overton’s throat and he then plucked another Nicholls header out of the air.

He then denied Norfolk but even he was helpless when Tim Taylor’s shot was deflected, but it clipped the top of the crossbar.

Sub Joel Sutton won a free kick in shooting range, but his attempt was too close to Overton.

Nicholls was spending more time attacking than defending, but another of his headers went the wrong side of the post.

Taylor fell in the box, but his appeals for a penalty were far quieter than Armthorpe’s appeals for him to be booked for diving.

The shouts were louder minutes later when a Sutton shot was blocked, with the striekrs feeling it hit an arm, but referee Steve Wade was not convinced.

It looked like it wouldn’t be Town’s night.

But their patience paid off on 82 minutes when Waudby finally broke the deadlock.

Armthorpe, who had brought on their only sub, a giant Polish goalkeeper who was forced to play as an emergency striker, finally registered their first shots on goal.

Craig Aspinall’s effort was deflected wide and from the corner Tom McLaughlin’s should he headed more accurately.