Trophy tie abandoned after spectator abuse

The Don Bemrose Trophy quarter-final between Bridlington Excelsior and Mermaid United Old Boys ended in controversial circumstances as the match was abandoned after 55 minutes.

Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 10:23 am
Updated Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 10:35 am
Bridlington Excelsiors v Mermaid was abandoned after 55 minutes

Excelsiors were winning the tie 2-1 despite being down to nine men, when referee David Stancill called an end to proceedings, after an Excelsior supporter refused to leave the sidelines when told to by the official.

The spectator directed foul and abusive language at the referee after an offside decision went against Excelsior, but when he was asked to move and refused, the game came to an early end.

Excelsior had arrived with only 10 men and the game kicked off late, but Mermaid got off to a good start when Jake Taylor and Artur Bejer combined to set up Mark Stockdale whose long-range effort beat Ian Pearson.

Bridlington Excelsiors (blue shirts) v Mermaid

After that things went downhill for Mermaid and Excelsiors equalised. But the 10 men’s task was made even harder when they were reduced to nine men, for swearing at the referee when he awarded Excelsior a free kick on the edge of the Mermaid penalty, area, rather than a penalty.

Despite this, Excelsior went 2-1 up before half time and Mermaid were struggling to get themselves into the game before the match was broiuyght to an abrupt halt 10 minutes into the second half.

There was much less drama for holders Bridlington Rovers, who made it into the semi-finals with a 3-1 win at Stirling Wanderers.

Rovers started brightly and were unlucky not to take an early lead, a perfect delivery from Graham Moore was met by Daz Anthony t with a great header but the referee decided there was an infringement and disallowed the goal.

Mermaid's Craig Firth and Excelsior's Danny Baker

Trev Tindall struck midway through the first half to give the visitors the lead after he reacted quickest after Nick Brunton’s cross was fumbled by the keeper.

Rovers had their own keeper John Booth to thank at the other end for maintaining their lead as he made a great save from Liam Watson. Stirling came into the game and a goal-line clearance from Moore led to a real kick in the guts for Stirling.

Instead of going in at half time level, Moore’s clearance fell to Ben Marshall who ran the length of the pitch and beat the keeper to send the home team in two down at the break.

Rovers started the second half quickly and scored a third goal as again Marshall was allowed to run clear and simply pass the ball into the net.

Mermaid's Nick Sunley and Excelsior's Jack Butterfield

Stirling never gave up and were rewarded with a consolation goal as the impressive Watson picked up the ball on the edge of the box, turned the Rovers defence and hit a sweet shot across the keeper into the bottom corner.

An injury-time winner by Craig Webb put Burton Agnes into the semi-finals, as they beat Forester Athletic 2nds 4-3.

Foresters started strongly with a dipping shot that lobbed over keeper David Tonks but the lead was short lived as Kyle Smith equalied from a scrambled corner.

Kristen Waines drove past two defenders in the box before falling over a trailing leg to win a penalty for Agnes, which Danny Robson dispatched, but Foresters levelled the game before half time with a powerful drive.

Mermaid's Jason Bartley and Excelsior's Lee Williamson

In the second half, Martin Thomas’ subtle flick restored Burton Agnes’ lead but Foresters refused to lie down and a close-range header made it 3-3, before Webb’s late deciding goal.

Flamborough 1sts complete the line-up for the last four, after winning 2-1 at Forester Athletic 1sts, for whom Darren Stockdale netted.

Bridlington Excelsiors (blue shirts) v Mermaid
Mermaid's Craig Firth and Excelsior's Danny Baker
Mermaid's Nick Sunley and Excelsior's Jack Butterfield
Mermaid's Jason Bartley and Excelsior's Lee Williamson