Town surrender to second-half fightback

Bridlington Town 2013/14
Bridlington Town 2013/14

Bridlington Town’s FA Cup progress was ended in emphatic fashion by a second-half Guisborough comeback.

Town were fortunate to be 2-0 up at half time, but their Northern League opponents never panicked and dominated after the break, hitting four goals unanswered.

The Seasiders were simply over-run in midfield by an efficient and solid Guisborough outfit.

After a cagey opening 10 minutes, Guisborough fashioned the first chance. From a short corner, Callum Martin’s cross was firmly headed by Jamie Poole, but Paul Fraser saved comfortably.

A minute later, Bridlington had a let off when Martin scampered down the right and cut the ball back for Danny Johnson whose shot hit the base ofthe post.

immediately, the hosts went down the other end and took the lead. Joel Sutton’s low shot from 25 yards found the back of the net, with keeper Ben Escritt still clearly hampered by an injury picked up in the first minute in a collision with Tom Fleming.

Escritt was replaced soon afterwards by substitute keeper Daniel Dixon.

His first action was to save a low rasping effort by Frank Belt after Sutton had engineered a counter attack with persistent play.

Johnson took advantage of a quickly-taken free kick but wasted a glorious opportunity by slicing his shot wide when one-on-one with Fraser.

Sutton side-footed wide of the far post after tenacious scrapping by Tom Fleming on the right, and the striker and his fellow forward Scott Phillips were booked as the action heated up.

Fraser reacted well to palm another Johnson effort round the post smartly with 10 minutes to go to half time, and Adam Gell was off-target with another chance as Guisborough stepped up their efforts.

A sweeping Town moved ended with Craig Hogg heading over and just as it seemed Brid would be lucky to be going in 1-0 up, they added a second with seconds to go before half time. Ash Allanson produced a smashing cross from by the corner flag and Sutton got in front of his marker to delicately steer the ball across Dixon and into the far corner.

After a couple of efforts that did not cause too much alarm, Guisborough pulled a goal back on 58 minutes. Martin curled in a free-kick which flicked off a Bridlington head and unmarked Jamie Poole nodded past Fraser from eight yards.

Within five minutes, the Priorymen were level. Gell dinked a cross which deceived Fraser and bounced back on the woodwork, Brid failed to clear and eventually Johnson hooked home an equaliser.

It got worse on 70 minutes when the home side sloppily lost possession in their own half, Mikey Roberts freed Gell and he fired across Fraser to give the Teessiders the lead for the first time.

A free header for Thomas Marron could have killed things off but he directed his attempt wide, and Sutton was also off target as he got on the end of Danny Brunton’s cross.

A controversial corner led to Guisborough’s fourth. Town never properly cleared their lines and despite a good block by Fraser, defender Paul Callan fired home, although it possibly struck Roberts on its way in.

That left Town 10 minutes to find two goals and Wayne Aziz almost set up a grandstand finish but his header was clawed off the line by Dixon.

Bridlington barely stirred into life in the final stages as Guisborough booked a place in the next round against Bishop Auckland.