Town’s first win of 2015

Bridlington Town 3 Athersley Rec 2
Bridlington Town 3 Athersley Rec 2

A shaky last 20 minutes almost undid the good work of the previous 70, but Bridlington held on to see off Athersley.

With an hour gone, they were 3-0 up and had just seen the visitors’ captain Ryan White sent off for arguing too strongly against the decision to give Town a penalty.

But the home side switched off and left the back door open, allowing Rec to pull two goals back and create a finish that was much more nervy than it should have been.

The early goalmouth action saw Chris Jenkinson go closest for the Seasiders, but his firm header was tipped away by Neal May at full stretch, with the keeper injuring himself in the process.

Town went ahead on 19 minutes. A lucky ricochet diverted the ball into the patch of Ombeni Ruhanduka and although his shot across goal was saved, Will Waudby was following up to net his first Town goal from a tight angle.

Bridlington’s lead was doubledon the half-hour mark. Duka robbed Kyle Cook in the Athersley area and set up Chris Adams for a simple finish from eight yards.

The momentum was firmly with the hosts and May had to produce Duka when he latched on to a long ball over the top.

Then Fleming ran past three players inside his own half and freed Adams, and although his shot was weak, it slipped through May’s hands but he stopped it with his feet.

Duka fluffed his lines in front of goal after a great cross from Fleming found him unmarked on the six-yard line, while at the other end Josh Moore looked odds on to score but headed at James Hitchcock’s feet, who knew very little about the save.

Town started the second half well with Adams going close after picking up Conner Harman’s excellent pass out of defence. Adams surged in to the area but Cook cleared off the line.

Things sparked into life on 60 minutes. Fleming was fouled by Dane Hodgson, and although Athersley insisted it was outside the box, referee Stephen Wade gave a penalty.

Captain White’s language was over the top and he was sent off, while Adam White was also booked for dissent.

Despite the delay, Ash Allanson drilled home the penalty,making amends for his miss from the spot at Pickering the previous week.

Seemingly in cruise control, it all went wrong for Town.

Fleming, who had been the game’s outstanding player, was injured in a collision with keeper May, and hobbled off the pitch.

Town then took their foot off the gas and paid the price in the final few minutes.

Firstly, Daniel Joynes sneaked in down the left and squared the ball to give Moore a tap in.

It was only a consolation - or was it?

Substitiute Craig Hogg had a goal chalked off for offside and in the final minute of the 90, Joynes chased a long ball and fired past Hitchcock to make it 3-2.

But Town held on in injury time to win for the first time in 2015.