Town’s fine form continues

Bridlington Town 3 Cleethorpes Town 0
Bridlington Town 3 Cleethorpes Town 0

Bridlington Town’s resurgence continued with their fourth successive win.

Cleethorpes Town provided tougher opposition than the sides The Seasiders had faced in their previous three games, so it reuqired one of their best home displays of the season to take the points.

A home win looked unlikely after the opening 20 minutes, when the visitors from over the Humber Bridge should have been 2-0 up.

But Bridlington steadied themselves, improved as the game went on, and two goals just before half time knocked the wind out of Cleethorpes’ sails.

The Owls made all the early running and James Hitchcock needed to make a good low save after a surging run by Alex Flett.

Both sets of defenders made a number of important blocks, but the visitors looked a strong, powerful side and theyc reated the cleanest chances.

They should have opened the scoring after an awful back pass by Benn Lewis put Jonathan Oglesby clean through, but he put his shot a whisker wide of the far post.

The winger went closer moments later when his mis-hit cross from the touchline, 40 yards out, was dipping under the crossbar until Hitchcock recovered and flicked it over.

Then, striker Marc Cooper’s header hit the bar after a cross from the left by Jack Barlow.

Bridlington were on the ropes but after managing to stop the procession of chances, they created two of their own late in the first half and took advantage of both.

On 40 minutes, a long ball into the penalty area found the unlikely target of full back Danny Brunton and he laid the ball off to Tom Fleming who beat Damien Steer from 15 yards.

Four minutes later, another attack down the left flank saw Chris Adams work hard to get into the box and he cut the ball back for Ombeni Ruhanduka to find the roof of the net.

The double whammy changed the game completely and Cleethorpes could have been dead and buried just after half time but Luke Mascall produced an excellent goalline block to deny Ryan Nicholls from close range.

Fleming had a goal chalked off for offside and Adams’ volley from Duka’s floated cross was saved, as the hosts searched for a killer third.

It arrived on 70 minutes, after a quick counter attack following a Cleethorpes corner. Duka carried the ball forward before releasing Nichools, who had galloped 70 yards to support him, and the right back’s first time shot beat Steer.

Hitchcock got away with a fumble, and was relieved when the ball trickled wide of the post and not inside it, and the clean sheet would have been as pleasing for Town as the ruthless finishing.