Town’s FA Vase dreams are over

Spennymoor Town 2 Bridlington Town 0
Spennymoor Town 2 Bridlington Town 0

Bridlington Town expected a tough task as they headed north to face the current holders of the FA Vase in this third round tie and so it proved.

Spennymoor Town, from the very strong Northern League, were just too good for the Seasiders’ who gave a decent account of themselves but only occasionally threatened the home goal.

Soon after the start goalkeeper Philip Dobson held on to a 25-yard strike from Spennymoor skipper Daniel Moore after Ash Allanson had lost the ball.

After seven minutes Tom Lee suffered a shin injury in a fair tackle with Lewis Dodds and following attention from the physio he was stretchered off to applause from the home crowd. Joel Ramm came on to replace Lee and was soon on the receiving end of a late tackle by Dodds.

Wayne Phillips was proving to be a handful down the left and twice supplied crosses from which both Joseph Walton and Moore failed to take full advantage.

James Bennett’s header from Ash Allanson’s centre was hit first time by Joel Sutton but was way off target.

The Moors continued to ask most of the questions and Dobson gathered another cross from Phillips at the second attempt then the goalkeeper kept out Walton’s effort with his legs.

In an isolated Town raid ‘keeper Peter Jeffries got to an Allanson ball forward ahead of James Bennett then the home supporters had something to cheer when they finally broke through the Town rearguard in the 33rd minute.

Walton’s run took him into the area and he played the ball into the middle for Gavin Cogdon to touch it past Dobson.

Moore found leading scorer Liam Henderson in what appeared to be an offside position, but there was no flag and he turned to shoot past the post.

Late in the half Frank Belt hit the defensive wall with a free kick and from another one Peter Jeffries collected a downward header by Tom Fleming.

Spennymoor increased their lead on the hour when Henderson headed home after a corner had been flicked on at the near post.

Cogdon missed a chance to make it three when he got clear of the Town defence but inexplicably skied his attempt with only Dobson to beat.

The Seasiders’ came close when Jeffries blocked a shot from Hogg and Michael Laws cleared the follow-up off the line for a corner.

Jeffries held on to a header by Aziz from a free kick but Spennymoor again dominated as Town struggled to get out of their own half and Dobson, seeing the ball late, made a smart save from Cogdon.

The home side wasted several opportunities to add to the score and almost paid the penalty in the final minutes when a Sutton free kick was deflected narrowly past a post and substitute Danny Brunton just failed to connect with the ball from a James Bennett free kick.