Town round off a wonderful week at Winterton

James Bennett scores direct from a corner to give Town the lead. Picture by Lea Houlihan.
James Bennett scores direct from a corner to give Town the lead. Picture by Lea Houlihan.

A goal early in each half gave Winterton Rangers a 2-0 lead and left Bridlington Town staring a surprising defeat in the face.

But an own goal, a direct free kick, a goal direct from a corner and a 30-yard thunderbolt gave the Seasiders’ the expected victory.

With the prolonged absence of Mark Wilberforce and Paul Fraser, Philip Dobson continued in goal while Joel Ramm and Rikki Paylor came in for the suspended pair of Ash Allanson and Tom Fleming.

Town were playing into a strong wind in the first half but Craig Palmer got forward to rattle the woodwork before the hosts took the lead in the sixth minute.

Goalkeeper Danny Waring took a free kick from 10 yards inside his own half, out by the left touchline, and it caused a mix-up in the Town defence enabling Declan Marshall to pounce.

Paul Finnis directed a shot from distance straight at Dobson then gave the ball away on the halfway line, which resulted in Waring tipping over an effort by Craig Hogg.

Aziz came out of a clash with Oliver Bradbury gaining a free kick but hobbling because of a leg injury.

Ramm headed wide from close in and there was a halfhearted appeal when Rikki Paylor went tumbling in the area.

As the half wore on Robbie Start, who recently moved to Winterton from Bridlington, began to make his presence felt bringing out a save from Dobson and a timely tackle from Chris Jenkinson. He was then booked for shirt pulling before striking the Town post.

Before the interval Dobson pushed Marshall’s attempt over the bar and the struggling Aziz was cautioned for bringing down Start.

Aziz did not appear for the second half with Dean Craig replacing him and Tom Lee taking over as captain.

Within three minutes Oliver Bradbury capitalised on a sloppy pass by Paylor to go on and beat Dobson.

After 55 minutes, however, the arrears were reduced when Waring misjudged a ball in from the right and Hogg sent in an effort that was turned into his own net by Paul Sykes.

Following a hand ball just outside the penalty area, James Bennett’s curling free kick was held by Waring but the goalkeeper was beaten on the hour by a low 20-yard free kick from Frank Belt after Sutton was brought down as he tormented the Rangers rearguard.

Town, now with the wind in their favour, were doing most of the pressing and Hogg had an effort tipped over the bar by Waring.

From Jenkinson’s forward ball Hogg attempted to chip Waring but he got back to turn it over for a flag kick that Bennett put directly into the net to give Town the lead with 20 minutes remaining.

The Seasiders gained a two-goal cushion in the 74th minute when Sutton ran at the home defence before unleashing an unstoppable strike for another personal goal of the season contender.