Town old boys steer Rovers to success in derby clash

Bridlington Rovers Joe Davies puts away the winning penalty ''PICTURES: DOMINICK TAYLOR
Bridlington Rovers Joe Davies puts away the winning penalty ''PICTURES: DOMINICK TAYLOR

Bridlington Town’s East Riding County League side was the only one of the club’s teams to escape a postponement on Saturday.

In an exciting cup tie on the Bridlington Sports Centre 4G pitch, Bridlington Rovers player Liam Banks scored against his former team to send the Division Three side into a penalty shoot-out with their Division One opponents.

Rovers subsequently won the contest 7-6 to earn a second round home tie against either Middleton Rovers or Driffield Evening Institute.

With no first or reserve team games, the match was watched by a reasonable number of Town supporters, which the players appreciated, and it started positively for the Seasiders.

They went in front in the sixth minute when Tom Coates drove forward from his own half to the Rovers area before sliding the ball past the advancing goalkeeper to give them a lead, which they held until the 30th minute.

The equaliser came when Town goalkeeper Chris Smith miscued his kick from a back, pass and directed the ball straight to Banks, who struck it first time from 40 yards out into the top corner of the goal.

Town were not as committed as their opponents in the first half, but after some harsh words at half-time they took the game to Rovers at the start of the second and created more chances in the first five minutes than in the previous 45.

However, they were unable to make the vital breakthrough.

In the dying minutes, with the light getting poor and the game heading straight for a penalty shoot-out, Sean Warnock had a golden opportunity to win the match for Town, but an acrobatic diving save from the Rovers keeper ensured that the match would go to spot-kicks.

Chris Smith took the first penalty and put it into the bottom corner then Rovers missed their opening penalty.

Further penalties were scored by Kieran Tate and Fraser Owen, but the fourth penalty was missed by Tom Goddard, which opened the door for Rovers who made it all square after four kicks.

Penalties were then scored by Tom Benninger, Sean Warnock and Alex Staveley as the shoot-out went to sudden death.

The eighth penalty, by team captain Ryan Stockdale, was hit high and wide, leaving Joe Davies, another former Seasider, with a chance to win the match and he calmly slotted the ball past Smith to take the hosts into the second round.

Bridlington Town County: Smith, Tate, Lawton, Jonny Morritt, Benninger, Coates (Warnock 73), Barkworth (Goddard 60), Staveley. R. Stockdale (c), Richardson, Bristow (Owen 65).