Town miss out on top spot after Maltby defeat

Tim Taylor got Bridlington's goal at Maltby.
Tim Taylor got Bridlington's goal at Maltby.

This result was a stark reminder that Bridlington Town must stay focussed and competitive in every game.

After taking all three points at Worksop in the previous game, the Seasiders came back down to earth with a bump at Maltby Main as they failed to adapt to the conditions and went down 2-1, to miss out on the chance to go top of the table.

Despite having the majority of possession in the first half, they went into the break trailing to a 33rd minute penalty.

Midway through the second half Maltby took advantage of some slack defending to double the lead, before the Seasiders’ pulled one back with 13 minutes remaining.

Town, playing down the slope, started well by taking the game to Maltby and a Will Waudby cross was helped over the bar by Maltby goalkeeper Jamie Bailey who was the busier of the two custodians in the early stages.

Bailey was forced to make good saves from Benn Lewis and Joel Sutton but the visitors were unable to capitalise on their territorial advantage and they were caught out at the back in Maltby’s first decisive attack just after the half-hour mark when Sam Forster broke into the penalty area where he was tripped by Ryan Nicholls.

Joshua Nodder responsibility with the spot-kick and sent James Hitchcock the wrong way to open the scoring against the run of play.

Minutes later Cameron Rigby almost got another for the hosts when he broke down the left and played the ball past the advancing Hitchcock but Chris Jenkinson got across to clear the ball from within the six-yard box.

In a short hailstorm just before the interval, Tom Fleming headed on from Jenkinson’s diagonal ball but Andy Norfolk was unable to take full advantage.

Early in the second half, Maltby produced a quick counter-attack only for Lewis Bemrose to completely miss the target from a good position then Town missed a golden opportunity when Fleming played in Joel Sutton who went round Bailey before striking the ball towards an empty goal but Daniel Reilly was able to get back and clear.

Twenty minutes into the half Rigby was allowed to make a run into the area before releasing the ball for the unmarked Nodder to convert from eight yards.

The game was set up for a tense finish when Fleming touched on a Conner Harman free kick to Tim Taylor who beat Bailey from 20 yards.

The two-goal lead was almost restored but Nicholls stopped Rigby with a timely tackle as the winger headed for goal.

As Town tried in vain to carve out a late equaliser, Waudby had a free kick from the left cleared by Maltby captain Joseph Austin and Sutton saw his effort cleared off the line by Daniel Swales.