Town knock the leaders off top spot

Joel Sutton got Town's second goal at Thackley. Picture by Lea Houlihan.
Joel Sutton got Town's second goal at Thackley. Picture by Lea Houlihan.

Bridlington Town added to their run of good results at the Dennyfield ground where they had not lost in their last five visits, and once again proved to be a thorn in the side of Thackley who were dislodged from the top position with this defeat.

The home side started the better and Mark Wilberforce tipped over from Chris Davey after his corner was returned to him then the midfielder had a half volley caught by Wilberforce. The goalkeeper’s long clearance found Tom Fleming who passed it inside for Scott Phillips to send an effort a yard past the post.

Wilberforce was again in action taking a Davey half-volley following a corner and then saving Luke Richardson’s low shot. Tom Lee won the ball on the halfway line and sent Joel Sutton on a run that was cut out and the danger cleared.

Town started to get into the match by playing their passing game and a ball in from Belt drifted past the far post. Phillips had an attempt palmed on to a post and out by Ivan Willis while debutant Robbie Start had the ball taken away with Phillips waiting in space.

The Seasiders’ football paid off in the 34th minute when Tom Lee fed the ball inside to Tom Fleming who showed some neat control and footwork before chipping over Willis from 15 yards.

Five minutes before half-time Richardson was booked for dissent and within a minute the Seasiders doubled their lead when Scott Phillips went past a defender before putting Joel Sutton in the clear and the leading scorer made no mistake.

As the interval approached, Wilberforce pushed a long ball from the left out for a corner but Town, having edged the first half, went in with their two-goal lead intact.

As the second half got underway Start hit a wayward shot after going past Damian Hopkins and from a break down the left he put his centre too near Willis. Neither goalkeeper was being threatened as both sides failed to get their attempts on target until a dubious decision by the referee gave Thackley a corner from which Wilberforce parried Richardson’s header at full stretch then gathered safely as Matt Mathers closed in.

Thackley were more in the game as they attempted to salvage something from it and 10 minutes from the end they pulled one back. A sloppy pass from Sutton, intended for substitute Rikki Paylor, was intercepted and played forward for Mathers who stroked it home to register his ninth goal of the season.

A through ball found Phillips on the break with the home defence looking for offside and from his ball in Sutton dummied over it to give Start a chance but his shot was weak and went straight to Willis.

Morgan came close to an equaliser when his rising strike just cleared the angle of post and crossbar then three minutes from time a bad challenge on Craig Palmer by Richardson resulted in him being shown a second yellow card.