Town keep focus on title bid despite cup exploits

Beverley Town 2 North Cave 0
Beverley Town 2 North Cave 0

After their cup exploits the previous week, Beverley returned to league action against North Cave who were sitting in sixth place in the Humber Premier League.

Town welcomed back Adam Nicholson, Matty Start and James Whittingham into the squad. There was also a warm welcome back to Tyler Collishaw for his first appearance of the season.

Beverley started very brightly on a sticky pitch which was not conducive for passing football. They could have taken the lead in the first five minutes when good work from Whittingham and Kingsley down the left, led to Danny Norton hitting the bar with a crisp header.

A few minutes later centre back Dane Mortimer hit the bar from a Mike O’Connell corner and as the ball dropped the same player blazed the rebound over.

It seemed only a matter of time before Town would take the lead, and after another corner from O’Connell, Kingsley stabbed home the rebound for his eighth league goal of the season.

Town were not working hard enough in and out of possession with Kingsley becoming increasingly isolated. Cave had a chance to equalise but a shot on the angle was easily dealt with by Nicholson.

The champions started to push their opponents back after the break, attacking down the slope and sub Rob Northern had a great opportunity to increase the lead when a glorious diagonal ball from Whittingham found the striker in space, but he couldn’t sort his feet out quickly enough and put his effort well wide.

Cave should have equalised when a mix-up between Mike Dixon and Nicholson led to the ball being lobbed to the far post, where the on rushing striker with the goal at his mercy managed to head the ball wide.

This proved to be a costly miss, as substitute Andrew Stott cut inside on to his left foot and hit a shot towards the goal this should have been easily dealt with by the North Cave goalkeeper, but he managed to let the ball slip through his hands.