Town into semi-finals

Bridlington Town news
Bridlington Town news

Bridlington Town took another step towards an appearance at the KC Stadium on May 11 with this victory over the Humber Premier League leaders.

Bridlington Town took another step towards an appearance at the KC Stadium on May 11 with this victory over the Humber Premier League leaders.

The Seasiders’ were stung into action after the visitors took the lead in the 10th minute, and 10 minutes before the break Ash Allanson was injured as he scored the equaliser.

Two further goals in the last half-hour secured a semi-final place for the hosts.

Town were without the cup-tied Will Waudby and striker Ombeni Ruhanduka, who was nursing an injury sustained while playing for his college team.

After a fairly even start, in which the speed of Lee Geraghty had troubled the Town defence, and a Chris Adams shot went straight at goalkeeper Charlie Dixon, Reckitts went in front following a free kick near the Town penalty area.

Graham Botham delivered the kick into the area and after some uncertain defending Gary Barstow fired in from 10 yards.

With this setback, Town started to be more assertive and Reckitts were prone to giving away free kicks around their own 18-yard area.

Conner Harman just failed to get a good connection on one and Dixon safely gathered, another was headed behind for a corner while Jarrod Smalley headed in after Allanson’s kick struck the bar but it was ruled out for offside.

The home side were having the better of the exchanges but could not break the defence and despite several crosses being put into the area there was no end product.

Reckitts gained a free kick of their own right on the edge of the penalty area but Barstow put his effort over the top.

Eddy Birch was within inches of gaining parity and another free kick was given when Harman was scythed down 25 yards out, earning the offender a caution.

Two minutes later Ian Fenton was adjudged to have pulled back Tom Fleming in the penalty area and a spot-kick was awarded. Not for the first time this season Allanson’s penalty was saved but he followed it in to head home, injuring himself in the process and despite battling on for another seven minutes he was replaced by Shaun Day three minutes before half time.

Botham failed to capitalise when Danny Brunton’s back pass fell short then just before the break Barstow’s effort was too high after a Botham free kick was partially cleared.

On the restart Mike Bartlett cleared off the line when Dixon failed to collect a corner as the Seasiders’ continued to hold the upper hand.

Brunton was off target as Dixon closed the angle then the defender got in a timely tackle at the other end with Geraghty ready to pull the trigger.

After 62 minutes Fleming threaded the ball through to Adams who played it back for Birch to put Town in front with a low shot from 20 yards.

Reckitts made a double substitution and Danny Smith came on for Smalley in a Bridlington change.

Fleming received a caution when he challenged for the ball with Dixon and Fenton followed him into the book for tripping Smith.

The result was practically safe 13 minutes from time when Brunton got free on the left of the area and played the ball to the far post where substitute Smith did the rest.

With this victory under the belt Town can now go with confidence into two home league games against Liversedge and Parkgate, two clubs who are in the lower reaches of the Premier Division.

The three remaining quarter-finals are Crown FC v Hull United and Westella VIP v Beverley Town, which are to be played this Saturday, while Hull City take on Hall Road Rangers at Bishop Burton College on February 24.

The semi-finals are scheduled to take place at the Roy West Centre on Inglemire Lane in Hull on Tuesday 24 and Thursday 26 March.