Town hit double figures on record-breaking day

Carl Stewart v Nostell MW
Carl Stewart v Nostell MW

Bridlington Town 11

Nostell Miners Welfare 0

NCEL Premier Division

BRIDLINGTON Town ran riot and completely overran Nostell Miners’ Welfare to record the league’s highest win of the season so far.

Sleet started to fall halfway through the first half with Town already three up and as it turned into a downpour at half time, with the lead increased to six, there were doubts about the game reaching a conclusion.


1 Ash Allanson - 9 minutes. A fine inter-passing move, which was a feature of Town’s play all afternoon, ended with Allanson looping the ball over Lee McGrath from the edge of the penalty area to register his first goal of the season.

2 Carl Stewart - 11 minutes. Almost from the restart Town regained possession with Craig Hogg putting Stewart clear and he went on to stroke the ball past McGrath.

3 Ash Allanson - 19 minutes. Allanson doubled his tally when a Nostell clearance reached him 35 yards out and he hammered it back to reap the dividends.

4 Carl Stewart - 26 minutes. Following a passing move along the 18-yard line, Hogg passed for Stewart to curl the ball round McGrath and just inside the far post.

5 Josh Greening - 30 minutes. On the half-hour a long through ball reached Greening who used his pace to get beyond two defenders and chip over the exposed McGrath for number five.

6 Josh Greening - 44 minutes. On the stroke of half time another slick move involving several players saw Stewart play Greening in on goal to make it six and put three players on hat-tricks.

7 Craig Hogg - 51 minutes. Nostell’s woes continued when a defence splitting pass from Allanson, six minutes into the half, gave Hogg the opportunity to open his account.

8 Josh Greening - 63 minutes Tom Lee put Greening in on goal and despite McGrath stopping his first attempt he couldn’t keep hold of the ball and Greening collected it to record his second hat- trick of the campaign.

9 Nathan Cook - 68 minutes. Cook took the ball to the by-line before putting it into the middle where it struck Wayne Ball and nestled in the back of the net.

10 Chris Batchelor - 75 minutes. Fifteen minutes from the end the Seasiders reached double figures when man-of-the-match Batchelor went past two defenders to place the ball into the bottom corner.

11 Craig Hogg - 85 minutes. Hogg rounded off the afternoon with five minutes remaining when he got clear to go round McGrath and put the ball into an empty net.

Despite the goals flying in at regular intervals, Town could have added more. From a left-wing cross Hogg glanced a header wide with Greening behind him ready to pounce then Allanson played in Cook who had his effort saved by McGrath.

Tom Fleming hit a post from 30 yards while Stewart drove a free kick over the top following a handball by Ryan Waugh.

Stewart and Chris Jenkinson were substituted at half time to prevent them from reaching five yellow cards and possibly missing the all-important Boxing Day match against their tenants Scarborough Athletic.

The visitors also made two changes on the restart

Nicholas hit a shot straight at Wilberforce but it was mainly Brid who were doing the attacking and after Hogg had been caught offside, Mike Jones, on for Fleming who is also on four yellow cards, had a shot well saved by McGrath.

Try as they did in the latter stages the visitors couldn’t get the breaks in the Town area and hardly troubled Wilberforce then.

More chances came and went in the dying minutes with Hogg hitting the side netting, after Waugh had misjudged the bounce.

Greening’s run forward took him past three defenders before he passed to Hogg on the right but, with Jones waiting in the middle, his final ball left a lot to be desired.