Town held by lower-league opponents

From mismatch to rematch in the space of 45 minutes.

Sunday, 7th August 2016, 5:50 pm
Updated Sunday, 7th August 2016, 6:54 pm
Tim Taylor with Silsden scorer Luke Richardson

At half time, Bridlington Town were left wondering how they were only 1-0 up against Silsden.

By the end of the match, they were probably glad they had another chance to beat the North West Counties Division One opponents.

The two sides will meet in a reply on Tuesday night after their FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round tie ended all-square.

Andy Norfolk got Bridlington's goal

Bridlington had dominated the first half, forcing seven corners to nil, and restricting their visitors to just a single shot at goal in the opening 45 minutes.

However, the fact they only had Andy Norfolk’s goal to show for their efforts was to come back to haunt them.

The Seasiders dominated from the first whistle, and their first chance came when Chris Adams broke down the left but Joel Sutton stabbed a straight at keeper Callum Jakonleus.

Brett Agnew thought he had opened Town’s account for the season on six minutes, but an offside flag ended his celebrations.

Ash Allanson returned to captain the side

The flag stayed down minutes later, but Agnew’s shot was deflected wide.

Ash Allanson tried a long-range attempt which was straight at Jakonleus and Adams sent a half-volley just passed the post as Town upped the pressure.

A goal looked inevitable and it needed a fingertip save from the Silsden keeper to deny Mike Thompson’s header, after Agnew had nodded a corner back across goal.

Eventually, Town got themselves in front on 35 minutes.

Andy Norfolk got Bridlington's goal

Sutton’s free kick into the area was only scuffed clear and Norfolk’s low shot from 15 yards found the corner of the net.

Another free kick, this time one which had come from the training ground, almost doubled the lead.

Sutton passed to Adams and he ran around the side of the Silsden wall but his shot hit a defender and Jakonleus blocked with his feet.

The West Yorkshire side had their keeper to thank again at the start of the second half, as he produced a flying save to deny Norfolk.

Ash Allanson returned to captain the side

The chances kept coming anda lovely flick by Sutton gave Kirk the chance to shoot but he was off target and from then on, the game changed completely.

Having been on the back foot for almost an hour, Silsden sensed that the Seasiders were having one of those days.

Sub Leon Smith showed good strength to get past Thompson in the right channel but William Storrie’s shot was saved by James Hitchcock.

That was their first effort of note, but the second wasn’t long in coming as Hitchcock tipped Kyle Hancock’s free kick over the bar.

Storrie should have levelled after Town were carved open down their right, but he dragged his attempt wide.

The tide had turned completely.

Christopher Wademan won the ball on the halfway line and was allowed to run and run at the Town defence but he sent a shot the wrong side of the post.

Bridlington were floundering and were being over-run, even though Silsden had to play with 10 men for five minutes because Luke Richardson picked up a bloodied nose in a goalmouth skirmish.

The hosts could, however, have made the game safe with a great opportunity just after the midway point of the half.

Agnew broke through but Jakonleus stood tall and saved, and he then blocked the follow-up from sub Danny Chambers.

To make matters worse, Silsden equalised shortly afterwards.

On 73 minutes, Wademan teed up right back Matthew Moses and his cross was scooped over Hitchcock by Richardson, who was back on the pitch in a clean shirt and determination to take revenge for his earlier injury.

After the first half, the Cobbydalers could hardly believe their luck.

They limited Bridlington’s in the closing stages and although they looked happy to settle for a replay, they loooked more likely to find a winner in the last 10 minutes.