Town heading in the right direction with 12 in a row

Bridlington Town's Andy Norfolk shields the ball from Ryan Woodhead
Bridlington Town's Andy Norfolk shields the ball from Ryan Woodhead

A hat-trick of headers allowed Bridlington Town to finally shake off Garforth Town’s resistance.

After a disappointing first half, the Seasiders came out revitalised after the break, and made the most of their quality at set-pieces.

Bridlington Town's Joel Sutton v Garforth Town

Bridlington Town's Joel Sutton v Garforth Town

They were helped by some questionable goalkeeping, but ran out comfortable winners to rack up their 12th straight league win.

Another clean sheet meant that Curtis Woodhouse’s men have gone through the whole of November without conceding a single goal.

Goalkeeper James Hitchcock was making his 101st consecutive appearance between the sticks for Town, and he has not been beaten for 459 minutes, since a consolation goal at Barton Town Old Boys.

His record looked under threat in the early stages of Saturday’s game when Garforth beat the offside trap, but he produced a smart save to keep the scores level.

Nick McNamara scored the second goal

Nick McNamara scored the second goal

Garforth were showing they had not travelled to the coast simply to be the latest victims of Town’s winning run and Mark Simpson could have given them the lead when he reacted quicker than Bridlington’s defence to a low cross, but prodded his shot wide of the near post.

Town’s new signing Jordan Harrison, fresh from scoring on his debut at AFC Mansfield in the 2-0 midweek win, was getting into dangerous positions, but was unable to turn that into territory into decent chances.

He sliced one effort towards the corner flag and then saw Joel Sutton’s shot froma similar distance gathered safely by Paul Hagreen.

Vincent Dhesi was looking threatening down the left for the visitors, and his dangerous free kick needed an excellent header from Alex Knaggs to clear the danger.

Both sides had penalty appeals waved away by referee Neil Guest within the space of 30 seconds.

Brett Agnew tumbled in the Garforth area but Guest was unimpressed and he offered no sympathy to Garforth, when a striker went down at Hitchcock’s feet soon afterwards.

The home keeper then did well to denyMitch Hamilton, and at the other end Harrison thundered a drive the wrong side of the post.

It had been an underwhelming first 45 minutes but Town responded well to their half-time instructions.

Seven minutes into the second period, Sutton floated a free kick into the Garforth penalty area, and Agnew headed goalwards.

Hagreen should have saved but made a misjudgement and dived over the ball and Agnew had his 25th goal of the season, to edge him one ahead ahead of strike partner Sutton.

Flustered by his mistake, Hagreen looked all at sea. He came chasing the next free kick to be delivered into the danger zone, but was nowhere near the ball and was relievd to see Agnew’s looping header drop wide of the post.

He didn’t learn his lesson though and when he came in search of another Jack Walters’ set piece, Nick McNamara beat him to it and headed home, picking up an injury in the process.

The game was over at 2-0 and Garforth didn’t look like the had the belief, nor the ability, to get back into the game.

Tom Fleming played a lovely ball into the path of substitute Tim Taylor, who looked odds-on to add a third goal, but Hagreen saved from close range.

Things were finally wrapped up in the 86th minute from another set-piece.

Walters’ left-wing corner landed on the head of Fleming and he had the simple task of directing an effort past Hagreen, who would have expected better marking in front of him.