Town get back to winning ways.

Bridlington Town v Nostell Miners Welfare
Bridlington Town v Nostell Miners Welfare

Bridlington Town finally managed to get a league win under their belts after drawing four and losing one of the last five games.

Bottom side Nostell Miners’ Welfare belied their lowly position by playing some attractive football but in truth barely tested debutant goalkeeper James Hitchcock.

Bridlington Town v Nostell Miners Welfare

Bridlington Town v Nostell Miners Welfare

Town were still hit by injuries with Eddy Birch adding to the list but Tom Fleming and Chris Jenkinson made an appearance on the bench meanng that they are well on the way to full recovery. Ombeni Ruhanduka was unavailable and to make matters worse Danny Norton limped out of the game on 25 minutes after turning his ankle.

None of Town’s players gambled on making a run as an early free kick was delivered into the danger area by skipper Ash Allanson. Alex Knaggs then went tumbling in the area but no foul had been committed.

Adam Hayton was behind most of Nostell’s moves and he had their first attempt at goal only to see it sail yards over the top.

After nine minutes, Norton fell awkwardly and after treatment carried on although visibly in pain. However, it did not deter him from turning past Richard Dawley and sending a curling effort just past the post.

Nostell’s fine football earned them a corner from which Tom Brook headed over and when captain Simon Poole robbed Shaun Day, his shot was blocked by Ryan Nicholls, who once again put in a sterling performance.

Twenty-four minutes in Town spurned a golden opportunity to take the lead. Day played Craig Hogg in on goal with a good chance but he was tripped by Brook and although referee Andy Dunne immediately pointed to the spot, no card was shown to Brook.

Former Town goalkeeper Ben Saynor went down to his left to make a fairly comfortable save from Ash Allanson’s side-footed spot kick.

A minute later Norton finally succumbed to his injury and was substituted in favour of Jarrod Smalley.

Chris Adams went on a run down the left hand side only for Josh Vanplew to step in and clear away for a throw in.

Then 10 minutes before half time Adams’ deft back heel from Hogg’s pass set up Knaggs to send a smart finish past Saynor.

Just before the break Allanson was booked for a late tackle on Matthew Semley then a run on the right by Smalley took him towards the area but his strike lacked conviction and went high and wide.

Bolstered by the introduction of captain Fleming five minutes into the second half, Town started to apply some pressure with Adams firing past the far post from a tight angle and Saynor gratefully holding James Whittingham’s low cross from the left.

Semley evaded two tackles as he sped into the Town penalty area but Day rescued the ball and as it was cleared Fleming was adjudged to have handled just outside his own 18-yard box.

The resultant free kick was driven well over the bar by Hayton.

Despite appeals for offside Hogg was allowed to continue and his shot went beyond the far post. He was then just beaten to Day’s through ball by Poole.

Another run by Semley was halted unfairly by Knaggs, earning the Bridlington man a yellow card.

Hogg got past Brandon Kane and into the area before squaring the ball to Adams who shot straight at Saynor then, as the roles were reversed, Hogg struck a post with Saynor spectacularly catching Allanson’s follow-up.

Dawley took out Hogg near the corner of the area but again the only retribution was an Allanson free kick that was cleared.

It was Hogg’s last contribution as he was replaced after 69 minutes by Tom Chippendale and it took the substitute just four minutes to make his mark on the game. Knaggs’ ball from the left was touched on by Allanson and Chippendale struck it past Saynor to double the lead.

Chippendale then sent a curling shot just past the post and was involved in a move with Allanson and Smalley that ended with Adams just failing to reach the ball.

Adams had a shot go wide after Fleming had headed an Allanson free kick back to him.

Nostell made a late rally but Richard Dawley’s attempt from 30 yards was straight at Hitchcock and although they gained two corners in the last minute, the first of the half, they were unable to make them count.