Town fight back to hold Hartlepool’s young guns

Jamie Reeson scored Town's second goal.
Jamie Reeson scored Town's second goal.

Bridlington Town fought back from a nightmare start to their pre-season campaign to earn a draw against Hartlepool United’s development squad.

The Seasiders were well off the pace in the early stages and their League Two opponents raced into a 3-0 lead in little over 20 minutes.

Scott Howes got goal side of teenage full back Tom Waudby and produced a composed finish to open the scoring for the North East side on eight minutes.

Ten minutes later, midfielder Dylan Elliott produced a deft piece of skill in the Town penalty area to leave defender Chris Jenkinson on his backside and he too confidently beat James Hitchcock to double the advantage.

And a scramble moments later ended with defender Jack Turnbull making it 3-0, although Hitchcock will be disappointed not to have kept the effort out.

Brid responded immediately though and Ombeni Ruhanduka made the most of a mistake in the Hartlepool back line to reduce the arrears on 25 minutes.

Making his Bridlington Town debut Josh Morritt v Hartlepool United

Making his Bridlington Town debut Josh Morritt v Hartlepool United

Harlepool’s young guns clipped the bar from distance just before half-time and Town made the most of their escape after the interval.

Striker Jamie Reeson looked reinvigorated after almost a year off, and his introduction added a new dimension to Town’s attacks. His 52nd minute strike was followed by an equaliser shortly afterwards.

Reeson set Duka free down the right and he squared the ball for Joel Sutton to bundle home, on his first appearance for Town since his return after a season at Barton Town Old Boys.

Brothers Jonny and Josh Morritt stepped up from Town’s Reserves and came off the bench, with Josh seeing a header well saved in the closing stages.

Will Waudby gave an impressive performance at left back in the opening 45 minutes while there was a debut in the second half for Jake Parker.