Town end the season with another flurry of goals

editorial image

Thackley 2

Bridlington Town 5

NCEL Pemier Division

A sixth straight win meant that Bridlington Town finished four points behind champions Scarborough Athletic and only two adrift of runners-up Brighouse Town.

With Monday’s League Cup Final in mind Thackley made six changes to the side that beat Worksop Parramore in the semi-final last Tuesday. Mitch Cook made one change to the side that were successful at Parkgate in midweek with Ben Silburn replacing the unavailable Danny Buttle.

Town dominated the opening half-hour and Thackley goalkeeper Mark Bower was kept busy in the opening exchanges by saving three times from the unfortunate Josh Greening. Greening also had a shot deflected behind only for a goal kick to be given.

The hosts’ only two chances fell to Mark Bett but his first missed the target and after Chris Davey’s cross from the right hand side of the penalty area took an awkward bounce Paul Fraser got to the ball ahead of the Thackley striker.

The Seasiders’ eventually took the lead in the 22nd minute. Tom Fleming’s ball in from the left bypassed Craig Hogg but fell to Nathan Cook who had the simple task of tapping home.

Seven minutes later the teams were back on level terms. Following some slack work by the Town defence Bett nipped in to convert a Davey cross.

Hogg miscued an opening wide of the post then was stopped by a timely tackle from Robert Foulds after a move involving Ash Allanson and Greening.

Thackley were growing in confidence and, when Davey got the better of Billy Logan, Matt Bilney put his effort wide with just Fraser to beat.

Dempsey Smith shot straight at Fraser then after beating Wayne Aziz, the Town defender recovered to retrieve the ball.

Cook drove wide after a one-two with Hogg then Lee Newall got in a good tackle on Greening to send the sides into the break all square.

On the resumption Mark Wilberforce took over in the Town goal while Josh Eastwood replaced Ross Daly for Thackley.

Two minutes into the half Hogg restored the advantage with a 30-yard effort to register his 29th league goal of the campaign.

Eastwood’s attempt from the right just cleared the bar but after 53 minutes Smith’s ball in from the left found Bett in space and his strike was too good for Wilberforce although he got a hand to it at full stretch.

Silburn was unlucky to lift the ball over Bower and inches past an upright after taking a return pass fromCook and Cook saw his own effort from 30 yards drift over the bar.

With just over 20 minutes left Billy Logan swapped passes with Josh Greening and, although he scuffed his shot, it trickled in by the post with Bower scrambling across his line in vain.

Bliney was cautioned for retaliation after Logan had fouled him then two of the Seasiders’ substitutes added further goals to give them a comfortable win. Tyler Collishaw scored his first goal for the club after 73 minutes with a strike from the edge of the penalty area and five minutes from the end Scott Phillips scored his 23rd goal of the season by heading in Logan’s right wing cross from close range.

In between the Town goals Smith had the ball in the net from a Bilney centre but was adjudged offside.

Thackley: Bower, Newall, M Morgan (c) (Firth 62), Foulds, White, Davey (Whiteley 62), Daly, (Eastwood 46), Ives, Bett, Smith, Bilney.

Unused subtitues: L Morgan, Tasker.

Bridlington Town: Fraser (Wilberforce 46), Aziz. Pardoe, Ash Allanson, Jenkinson, Cook, Logan, Fleming (c) (Collishaw 50), Hogg (Phillips 69), Silburn, Greening.

Unused substitute: Belt.

Attendance: 108

Man of the Match: Josh Greening