Town comfortably progress in FA Cup

Bridlington Town v Northallerton Town
Bridlington Town v Northallerton Town

Bridlington Town have reached the FA Cup first qualifying round for the first time in five years, after beating Northallerton Town 3-0.

After a fairly even first half that the hosts just about edged, they really took the game to the Northern League side once skipper Tom Fleming had given them the lead two minutes into the second period.

After Ombeni Ruhanduka had seen his ball into the six-yard box hacked away by Craig Perry, the striker missed a golden opportunity to open the scoring by firing over from 15 yards when Chris Adams played the ball into his path.

The visitors seemed wary of the striker’s pace, as Perry and James Muir were both cautioned for stopping him unfairly.

At the other end, Adam Nicholson was equal to two efforts from Muir, one from a free kick, and Northallerton goalkeeper Mathew Calvert easily held Ash Allanson’s 30-yard strike.

Andrew Ramsbottom handled the ball as Adams broke through the middle and after hitting the wall with his free kick, Chris Jenkinson lofted the rebound high and over.

Northallerton were tending to play too deep with lone forward Aaron Ramsbottom on his own up front and when he received the ball in an advanced position he had to wait for support arriving.

Eddy Birch played the ball out right for Danny Smith to put in a cross that was deflected behind and just as half time approached Ramsbottom missed from close in but a raised flag for offside spared his blushes.

Two minutes after the restart Fleming was given too much room and drilled a 30-yard shot into Calvert’s bottom right hand corner of the net.

The Seasiders started to assert some authority and Birch had his attempt well blocked by Calvert while Adams saw a 20-yard effort go just past the post.

After 63 minutes Calvert tipped over an Adams drive and from Allanson’s corner, Chris Jenkinson doubled the score by heading the ball home.

Hogg replaced Allanson, who sustained a foot injury and, after Colin Anderson headed wide of the home goal, the substitute had a hand in the 72nd minute goal that more or less put the game to bed.

Hogg and Fleming combined to set the ball up for Adams on the left side of the area and he took full advantage of Fleming’s lay off by firing into the bottom corner..

The visitors tried to get something from the game but Nicholson held Ramsbottom’s back-heel then the goalkeeper caught Perry’s attempt to lob the ball over him.

Birch gave Paul Wray an opportunity but his attempt was rising as soon as it left his foot then Birch was stopped on the break by a good tackle from substitute Mark Hemingway.

The only blot on an impressive second half performance was a yellow card shown to Nathan White by very capable referee John Matthews.