Town captain Fleming leads by example

Tom Fleming in action against Glasshouhgton Welfare.
Tom Fleming in action against Glasshouhgton Welfare.

Faced with a very poor playing surface that was both sticky and uneven and needed a good rolling, it was obvious that the conditions would not suit Bridlington Town’s brand of football.

Despite this the whole team knuckled down to the task in hand and came away with three well-earned points.

An early attempt from the home side’s Ian Ward was easily held by Philip Dobson and Chris Jenkinson brought an end to a break on the right by Hilliaro Serreoa. A good move from Town set up Joel Sutton and his shot from the edge of the area was diverted over the bar by goalkeeper Paul Hagreen.

Tom Fleming then shot over from a narrow angle following a Jenkinson free kick from the half-way line, which was given when James Beaston went in late on Danny Brunton. .

Town were pulled back for offside decisions against Reeson and Sutton then the latter shot just past a post from Fleming’s pass.

After 24 minutes Sutton picked up a needless booking for kicking the ball away following a free kick decision against Town and with his tally now five yellow cards he will miss the game away to Staveley Miners’ Welfare in two weeks time.

There were anxious moments in the Glasshoughton penalty area when two efforts were blocked from a free kick before the ball was scrambled away.

Fleming and Paylor combined to give Sutton a sight of goal but his shot went the wrong side of the post then the young striker had a cross punched away by Hagreen.

Dean Craig and Fleming got in the way of two strikes from the home side while Reeson missed the target just before half time and neither goalkeeper had been really tested in the opening half. This altered soon after the break when a rare mistake by Chris Jenkinson let in Serreoa and his shot was superbly tipped on to the bar and over by Dobson.

After 57 minutes Glasshoughton fell behind when Fleming’s shot from the left side of the penalty area appeared to take a slight deflection on its way past Hagreen.

Debutant Jarrod Smalley came on in place of Brunton for the last half-hour to inject some pace down the flanks with Dean Craig crossing over to the left of defence and Joel Ramm slotting into right back position.

Town looked the more likely to score as Glasshoughton were unable to penetrate a solid back line and the midfield trio of Fleming, Palmer and Paylor denied their opposite numbers the chance to get a hold on the game while Sutton and Hogg worked tirelessly up front.

Hagreen made a hash of a Sutton cross but fortunately got away with it then after he had held on to a Sutton free kick he was beaten again eight minutes from the end when Palmer won the ball on the left before playing it on to put Hogg clear and he made no mistake in firing past the custodian.