Town back to winning ways at Armthorpe

After their unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of title favourites Tadcaster Albion the previous week Bridlington Town got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory against Armthorpe Welfare.

Wednesday, 17th February 2016, 10:17 am
Updated Wednesday, 17th February 2016, 10:20 am
Conner Harman holds off James Walker

Pleasingly, they kept a fourth clean sheet from the seven games that they have played in 2016.

Town were forced to make changes with Danny Brunton and Will Waudby added to the injury list, Ryan Nicholls unavailable and Eddy Birch opting to defect to tenants Scarborough Athletic after only a month back in the ranks since leaving Hull United.

The first clear opportunity of the game fell to Andy Norfolk when he intercepted a back pass by Louis Penty that was intended for goalkeeper Leigh Overton but the striker could only hit Overton’s outstretched leg with his effort and the ball was cleared.

Benn Lewis gets in ahead of James Handley

Although enjoying most of the possession, the Seasiders were either quickly closed down when they threatened or were too elaborate in the build-up and they were nearly punished when Alex Knaggs headed a dangerous cross from James Walker behind for a corner that Hitchcock spilled, but the ball was scrambled away.

Joel Sutton’s free-kick after he had been brought down near the angle of the area was cleared and Norfolk fired wide from a Chris Adams head-on.

Both goalkeepers were called on with Hitchcock making a diving catch from Craig Aspinall’s 25-yard strike and Overton raced from his area to kick clear when Paul Wray chased down Tom Fleming’s long ball forward.

Sutton curled a shot the wrong side of a post after winning possession off Michael Bunn then saw Overton pull off one of his many fine saves during the game to keep out another effort and just before half-time he blocked an attempt from Conner Harman.

Paul Wray battles for possession.

Armthorpe made a change before the restart with Luke Norbury replacing Parkhouse but it was the Seasiders who got their noses in front 11 minutes into the second half with a fine move. Tom Fleming won the ball just inside the Armthorpe half and played it to Joel Sutton who in turn threaded it through for Norfolk to run on to and direct it past Overton.

Town were camped in the Armthorpe half for long periods with Hitchcock a mere spectator at times and he didn’t have a direct shot to save in the second period whereas his teammates had nine efforts on target but the majority were either straight at Overton or well saved by him.

Norfolk had his shot saved for a corner after Sutton had rode two attempted foul tackles by Walker before Harman fired just over from 25 yards following a Fleming interception.

In an otherwise faultless display by Overton it was a mistake by the goalkeeper that gifted the visitors a second goal with 17 minutes left.

Tim Taylor on the ball for Bridlington

Substitute Jamie Reeson chased a ball down the left and squared it to Sutton whose shot went straight at Overton but he allowed it to squirm through him into the net with Sutton looking somewhat bemused.

Overton made two more saves by running out to clear from Norfolk then tipping round a low strike from Reeson at full stretch.

With a minute of normal time to go the Welfare were reduced to ten men when Bunn picked up a second yellow card for felling Reeson and in a final effort Sutton saw his free kick held under the bar.

Benn Lewis gets in ahead of James Handley
Paul Wray battles for possession.
Tim Taylor on the ball for Bridlington