Town are the Main men

Craig Hogg v Maltby Main
Craig Hogg v Maltby Main

Bridlington Town 2

Maltby Main 0

NCEL Premier

It wasn’t always fluent, and it certainly wasn’t always pretty but Bridlington Town secured maximum Bank Holiday points with their second win in three days.

Ben Kinsley v Maltby Main

Ben Kinsley v Maltby Main

A slightly fortunate first half goal from captain Tom Fleming looked like separating the two teams, until injury time when sub Joel Sutton produced another strike to add to his growing collection of impressive goals.

In the early exchanges Maltby Main looked useful, especially through left winger Matthew Bradley, but it was the hosts who went closest to making a breakthrough when Craig Hogg’s low shot skidded against a post.

Town began to dominate and when Scott Phillips beat Darryl Winters to a header he looked odds-on to score. But keeper Jamie Bailey blocked at his feet, and then Ben Kinsley squared the rebound to Tom Lee whose shot was deflected wide.

Ash Allanson was off target with two efforts and Hogg couldn’t stretch enough to redirect Lee’s cross as Town settled well after a quiet start.

A glorious pass from Fleming found Frank Belt haring forward and his cross landed on the head of Phillips, unmarked, six yards out, but the advancing Bailey did enough to distract the striker and his header glanced wide.

He tried to make amends with a dipping 30-yard volley which drifted past the far post but Town were in control.

They took the lead on 28 minutes after a lovely four-man passing move down the left flank. The ball was switched inside to Fleming and his firm low shot should have been pushed away by Bailey, but the keeper allowed it to squeeze through his hands and over the line.

At the other end, Bailey’s opposite number Mark Wilberforce produced two first class saves at full stretch - firstly denying Ashley Linacre and then flying to his left to thwartBradley

In injury time, Maltby should have pulled level. Brian Cusworth played in Callum Black looked offside but was waved on, and he unselfishly laid the ball off to Bradley

Wilberforce was desperately scrambling across his goal but the winger slammed his shot against the post.

The second half struggled to get going and Town knew a one-goal advantage was not enough. Cusworth enjoyed the benefit of the doubt from the linesman again but struck the outside of the post from the corner of the area.

The Seasiders’ passing deteriorated as the game went on and neither side could carve open a real clear-cut opportunity.

Town almost had a fortunate second, when Hogg deflected Sutton’s 30-yard daisy-cutter over Bailey but was flagged offside.

Finally, in the 90th minute, Town killed off the game. Referee Neil guest played advantage after a collision and Belt found himself in acres of space.

He passed to Sutton, who showed an outrageous dummy and an even better strike from outside the penalty area.